When life gives you apples...
Tuesday, November 14
... make apple pies!!
Today we journeyed futher into the world of pastry and we each had the chance to prepare one pie, mostly sweet and some savory. I made a"Mile High Apple Orchard Struesel Pie" with three pounds of apples, a maple crumble topping and totally vegan. It turned out very high, like the title implies, and quite nice, though there were few takers for my pie as we were all tired of eating apples from the apple galettes the day before. I think the last time I made a pie was in public school and it didn't turn out (I was discouraged after that) so I was quite impressed that I could make such a beautiful pie with a crust that was quite nice and healthy vs. using lots of shortening and butter. Other pies included: carmelized onion tart (yummy), coconut-lime cream tart (one of my favourites), French walnut tart, sweet potato pecan pie, poached pear tart with cornmeal crust (beautiful), cranberry pear pie with lattice top (beautiful), pumpkin pie, apple crumb pie, cranberry orange tart (bright, beautiful), swiss pecan tart, and shepards pie (vegan of course though meat could easily be added to the recipe). So, after my preparing my pie, I tried to make an apple galette again in preparation for the test tomorrow. More apples, though they do call this city the big apple after all...
... make apple pies!!
Today we journeyed futher into the world of pastry and we each had the chance to prepare one pie, mostly sweet and some savory. I made a"Mile High Apple Orchard Struesel Pie" with three pounds of apples, a maple crumble topping and totally vegan. It turned out very high, like the title implies, and quite nice, though there were few takers for my pie as we were all tired of eating apples from the apple galettes the day before. I think the last time I made a pie was in public school and it didn't turn out (I was discouraged after that) so I was quite impressed that I could make such a beautiful pie with a crust that was quite nice and healthy vs. using lots of shortening and butter. Other pies included: carmelized onion tart (yummy), coconut-lime cream tart (one of my favourites), French walnut tart, sweet potato pecan pie, poached pear tart with cornmeal crust (beautiful), cranberry pear pie with lattice top (beautiful), pumpkin pie, apple crumb pie, cranberry orange tart (bright, beautiful), swiss pecan tart, and shepards pie (vegan of course though meat could easily be added to the recipe). So, after my preparing my pie, I tried to make an apple galette again in preparation for the test tomorrow. More apples, though they do call this city the big apple after all...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home