Friday, December 15, 2006

Cooking all day and night...


Friday, December 15

Today I was cooking from the morning until the evening. I left my school at 11:30 pm after working on preparations for the Friday Night Dinner I'm assisting a chef with. Sometimes one of our chefs will prepare the four course vegan gourmet meal for the Friday Night Dinner, usually for a graduation dinner, and there is usually around 100 people in attendance. I was one of the most "senior" people there, which felt a bit strange at first, but I felt very comfortable in the kitchen and one of students working with us tonight who just started the chef's program said that I looked experienced and at ease in the kitchen. I told her that's it's amazing what you develop in a few months, almost each day in the kitchen, and always talking about food. I realized that the most important thing that I've developed is confidence and a sense of fun in the kitchen in experimenting with new things. Our teachers encourage us all the time to try new things, taste everything, experiment, etc. to open and refine our tastes. Tonight, I surprised myself as I made chocolate cakes (delicious and made with tofu... you would never know it), chocolate ganache, and then sesame tuilles. The dessert will be an individual piece of chocolate cake with warmed chocolate ganache on top, served with vanilla ice cream and garnished with a sesame tuille. All natural, vegan and good for you! In the morning, we had a class on how to set up for a brunch, which we are holding on Friday, and worked the entire day on making dishes or preparing the mise en place for a la minute plates such as omelets and crepes.

The brunch will only be $7 for family, friends, is open to the public and there is a very good a la carte menu with vegetarian, vegan and non-vegetarian options, from crepes (chick pea and traditional) and waffles, fresh baked spelt bread and savory and sweet muffins, omelets that will be made to order, a variety of salads made at the last minute, baked fries, kasha, etc. I prepared everything for crepes suzettes that I will be making to order, including a Grand Marnier flambe. They used to make this in the service area so that public could see this but the students became too nervous and anxious about doing the flambe in front of guests so it will be in the kitchen. It is quite the deal at $7 per person, no taxes or tips, for a mostly organic, natural, healthy, beautiful and delicious brunch made to order for each guest. I just wish my family and friends were closer to come and enjoy this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home