Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sometimes you don't get what you want but what you need...

Well, time flies... one moment you're having a drink on a patio on a lovely sunny day and next thing you are in the basement trying to find your winter clothes. That's what I find with my ZenKitchen business and blogging. Sometimes you can get to it and other times it's there right in front of you and you really want to get to it but just can't get enough time and energy to fit it in.

Since September when Dave left suddenly on the campaign trail, after a relaxing trip to California, I have had to manage both home and business alone, and we have had a very busy fall season full of events, classes, weddings, monthly dinners, and much more. But, well, I survived, barely, and now I'm heading off to NYC for some FUN in caps and I am so excited as I haven't gone there since I graduated from my course, which seems so long ago now.

So, for now, I'll leave you with the menu from our October 18 special food and beer pairing dinner, which is sadly our last at the Chelsea Club, which will be closing after 80 or more years in operation. Another thing on our list of things to do... find another location for our dinners as we just found out rather suddenly about this. But, we're on it and have found some great sites and this is forcing us to roll out the plan and planning that we have thought about for awhile about opening up something, and that "something" is what we're going to planning and thinking about in NYC and will take up much of our waking hours over the next while.

So, if anyone has a pot of gold or extra cash under their mattress they'd like to share with us or sees some neat locations that would be ideal for ZenKitchen in the city, let me know please. I see this is a collective effort as there seems like so much support and enthusiasm for ZenKitchen to continue to be much more in the community and this is driving us forward as well.

I keep on having that tune in my head, and can't get it out... something like you don't always get what you want but you just might get what you need.. I know it's not exact but you get what I mean. So, I've been asking for some direction of what I should do, where I should go next with my business and I think the answer came all of sudden with a giant kick in the ass to say, go for it girl, what are you waiting for? So, now what? Stay tuned! For now the menu, next I'll take Manhattan, a coffee, and then we'll see...

October 18, 2008 Special Food and Beer Pairing Menu at the Chelsea Club

Dear ZenKitchen dinner guests,

Suddenly, the cold weather is upon us! As we all dig for heavier coats, scarves and even hats, I believe there’s a desire for warm, rich foods, too.

With this late-harvest menu, I’ve brought together some of our favourite foods – beautiful root vegetables, seasonal squashes, ancient grains, and fall fruit. Of course, rich dark chocolate is always in season.

We’re also celebrating our own Octoberfest here at ZenKitchen, so we’ve worked closely with Scotch Irish-Heritage Brewing of Carleton Place to match a brew with each course. Co-owner Donna Warner is on hand to talk about each beer as it comes out and answer your questions. Many thanks to Donna for joining us!

Finally, I have to impart a bit of sad news. After more than 80 years in operation, the Chelsea Club will be closing its doors. Chef/Manager Sean Murphy has been a great friend to me and ZenKitchen over the past two years, and I appreciate his support, guidance and many efforts to help us.

As for ZenKitchen? Our next dinners will go ahead, and we’ll be announcing a new venue in the near future. Stay tuned!

My sincere thanks to you for your continuing support and enthusiasm, which have contributed to the wonderful vibrancy and popularity of ZenKitchen and fueled my passion and labour of love.

Cheers, Caroline

Menu

October 18, 2008

Assorted hors d’oeuvres

Blackcurrant Rye Lager
 
Amuse
Organic bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, Ethiopian Wat, and slow roasted nuts
Stuart's Natural Session Ale

Butternut Squash-Lemongrass Potage

With pumpkin seed oil and spiced croutons
Sgt. Major India Pale Ale

Autumn Composed Salad

With heirloom beets in walnut oil and fresh horseradish cream, red quinoa pilaf, beer zuke pickles, heirloom turnip, and lemon carrot pate 
Corporal Punishment Brown Ale

Pumpkin-Potato Gnocchi

With creamy mushroom-poblano sauce, Le Coprin mushrooms, roasted fennel, and black kale

Heritage Traditional Dark Lager

Intermezzo

Chocolate-orange ganache

Black Irish Plain Porter

Old Fashioned Apple Pie

With cinnamon-caramel ice cream

ZenKitchen Events

Upcoming Gourmet Vegan Dinners

q (New date) November 30

q (New date) December 21 - special holiday celebration

Information and reservations: dinners@zenkitchen.ca

Cooking Classes

LCBO Special Event Kitchen www.lcbo.com/learn
November 5 - ZenKitchen in Japan (Nepean Crossroads, 613-224-4333)

Urban Element

www.theurbanelement.ca

October 21 - Fall Harvest Celebration
November 26 - Asian Tapas



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home