Saturday, September 09, 2006

The city that never sleeps

Arrived tonight at the apartment for the transition and the owner showed me around and left me a nice bottle of New Zealand Chardonnay to welcome me to my new home in NYC, which I am now enjoying, before he headed off to the South Hamptons for a get away with his girlfriend... how NY and Sex in the City I thought. The tour included some expensive bottles of wine (we're talking here about 1987) that are off limits and given to him by his friend Matt Dillon. Matt, the hollywood one, yes that's right. The apartment is still beautiful and warm and I love being here and the positive energy that it gives off. It beats staying in a hotel or in one of the sterile apartments that are rented through brokers and designed by brokers as well, meaning minimum future and living accessories and no personal or homey touches. I walked toward Riverside Park and I saw the security guard patrolling the street though it felt very safe as there were lots of people walking the beautiful tree-lined street alone, in groups and many with dogs, and lots of apartments with their windows and curtains or blinds open. The street is very inviting as well. I walked down to Broadway two blocks down and this was wonderful. The street for blocks and blocks is filled with every convenience for the working person and apartment living dweller. That's what the current owner said, that I'd get really spoiled about all the conveniences for you as most people live in apartments here and have busy lives. But I was surprised, happily, as I walked along Broadway and saw what he meant. Numerous grocery stores, good ones filled with fruits and vegetables, a variety of products, including organic, and often with a take-out area for fresh take-out food of all kinds. On my corner, there's a mini natural organic shopping mart, which I am thrilled about. This is definitely a neighbourhood for foodies with foods specializing in cheese, breads, bagels, olives, etc.. Of course, I was in the usual Ottawa panic mode of wondering when the stores closed and what I should do first, however when I walked into most grocery and speciality food stores, they were often open to midnight, 1 am or 24 hours. This is a city that never sleeps as they say. I finally decided on one that I had heard a lot about called Fairway, about 10 short blocks away on Broadway and it was wonderful, filled with various fruit and vegetables, gourmet often organic take away items, and every other grocery item you could imagine. It was crowded at 10:30 pm and it was nice to see that you can shop fresh and whenever you want. Everywhere I looked I could see this is a city that is really catered for the working person, apartment dweller, with every convenience we wish we had, especially in the during the cold dark winters. Order your video on-line and have it delivered. Order your books on-line and have them delivered, though the beautiful Barnes and Nobles is open to midnight on the weekends, a place I love and will frequent often. Everyone is promoting delivery for free or for a minimal fee. I love the area so far. It has everything you could want or imagine from nice restaurants, to take out places and grocery stores, liquor stores, subway stations to downtown, movie theatres, off-broadway theatres, and comedy clubs, to several sports clubs and spas, computer and electronic stores, and top clothing stores such as Gap, Banana Republic and Club Monacco, along with the discount stores for those of use who enjoy a good bargain. Basically all that you could want close by as an apartment dweller. So, I'm back to write a bit about my first evening in NYC and will watch some of NYC TV, which is great to find out what's hapening in NYC. I'm getting tired finally and will hit the hay soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home