Outer Chef
Today I went shopping for the outer chef or clothing 101 for the first-time chef. Went to B&R Uniforms on 23rd street between 1st and 2nd to pick up my chef clothing: 2 white chef jackets with the name of the school; two chef paints - "Black Hounds tooth"; 3 white bib aprons; 6 white side/bar towels. This is a shop with uniforms for every profession, including waiters and waitresses, medical staff, and a profession that requires a neck to ankle black nyon see-through number. Don't think that's for front-of-house at the school's Friday night dinners for the public.
At the store, met a young guy who's from NYC and decided to change from musical school to this school. Also, a woman just flew in from Japan yesterday to be in the course. Actually, the school says that most of the participants in the classes, including mine, are not from NYC and from different locations in the US and from other countries. They said my class will include students from Japan, Germany, Canada (me) and I'll tell you the rest when I meet them tomorrow morning.
Then picked up later some chef clogs (hard plastic, good soles,etc) at David Z at 862 Broadway near 18th, which was recommended by the school. Besides some chef type clogs, the store has a good selection of comfy shoes for women and men that look fashionable. I was going to buy a pair of fashnionable shoes but the choice was overwhelming and I was tired so I left it for now but will return. There is also another bigger location I found during my travels in the Union Square area tonight, which I believe was at 12 E 14th Street. I see from their card that there are actually 7 stores in the NYC area. Also visited an interesting shoe store called Shoemania at Broadway and 14th but this was the more loud music, lots of sale people, and crowded store concept.
Sent some time in the open market area of Union Square, filled with fruit, vegetable and other food vendors. Bought some locally made pretzels and local organic apples.
For the second day of classes, I get the rest of my gear, which includes: a skull cap with the school logo; set of "Genesis" professional knives - for those like Dave who get excited by knives and can't wait to see my knife set, the blades are fully forged, constructed of high carbon, no-stain steel and handles of nonslip "Santoprene" material for comfort - I'm just as excited by the knife guards and carrying case that come with it; a five piece garde manger set including apple corer, peeling knife, garnishing case, channel knife, melon baller and lemon zester and misc items such as a swiss peeler; pastry bag and set of pastry tips, and a locker to store all this so I don't have to bring it home every night.
There are several Filene's Basement locations all around time (designer clothes at bargain prices), including in my neighbourhood and the original one near my school. But I went into the one in Union Square tonight (4 Union Square South) to pick up a sweater as I was getting chilled and this has an amazing collection of shoes on one floor and the other floors with clothing.
Went to Jas Mart, a Japanese grocery store, at 23 street and 4th, on the way home to see if there was anything to refresh me for my journey home. Not much after a raid on the sushi but enough.
Long journey home to find the right subway. It's sometimes not clear where you get on as I tried to use the subway where I got off this afternoon but it only goes in one direction downtown and not back uptown. Also, when you are on a platform you have to be clear which train you're getting as there may be several going in different directions. Tonight, couldn't find the train uptown for a long time, took the wrong train, etc. I will master this one day!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home