Sunday, January 07, 2007

Pure work and the wild East Village...

Sunday, January 7

Still recuperating from a bad cold and complete exhaustion after worrying about the Friday Night Dinner for weeks and finally preparing it from Wednesday to Friday. It's been really hard to have a limited sense of smell and taste when you're cooking but I figure that chefs have to work through everything and make do. So, I rested as much as possible, took as many remedies as I could think of, and pumped myself to go into my shift at Pure Food and Wine this afternoon. It was tough to go in with a cold and even tougher at times to stick it out but I got to make a lot of things as they were short staffed, including my favourite collard rolls for service tonight, a number of different marinades and sauces, a parmesan pine nut mixture for dehydration into crackers, and a filling for their tortillas made with sesame seeds, sundried tomatos and a number of other ingredients and fresh herbs. So, it ended up to be quite the full shift and satisfying.

I think I forgot to mention that I moved to the East Village on January 1 for a few weeks to share an apartment with Yuki. Her roommate is away for a few weeks so I was able to take her place, which will save me money and travel time as I can now walk to school. I have always loved the bohemian and funky nature of East Village and each day that I tour around the streets I love it even more. It's no wonder that many people in the area say that they never travel beyond 14th street, meaning that everything they need and would want is within their East Village neighbourhood.

The history of the East Village... from the 1840s, one immigrant population after another arrived here and the latter-day-bohemian middle-class non conformists are still arriving here today, making up for a interesting mix of people. Also, in the 60s and 70s, the neighbourhood was the hub of hippiedom and people like Abbie Hoffman, Allen Gingsberg, Timothy Leary, and Andy Warhol were residents. In the 1980s, the East Village tried to become the next SoHO, with galleries, nightclubs, upscale restaurants, and co-op conversions. Over time, the hippies were replaced by spike-haired punks and anarchists, and are now being replaced by youthful yuppie types who are eating macrobiotic and taking yoga. I have a few weeks to get to know the neighbourhood better and am looking forward to it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home