Better late than never...
Sunday, March 18
Well, if you've been checking my blog regularly, I apologize for not being more regular with my entries. It was easier when I was in the rhythm of school and interning and it's been harder once back home, trying to get adjusted to the weather (often a 40 degrees difference from sunny and warm California!), life back in Ottawa and setting up the new business. So, I will try to get into the rhythm here. The days go by quickly and sometimes I think that what I'm doing is not that interesting to people. But some people have told me that they've always enjoyed what I have been up to and why not continue when home.
As you may know, originally the blog was for my NY culinary adventure to keep family and friends up to date. I was surprised as I really started to look forward to writing in it and sharing my adventures and capturing funny, sad, painful and joyful moments with others. Then I decided to head to San Francisco to intern at Millennium and continued the blog as I had so many stories to continue to tell. Actually by that time, I was probably more attached to it than my friends and it was my daily way to check in and uncover all the things that I had observed and experienced in a long day in the kitchen so it was not lost and forgotten forever, though how could I ever forget the long lonely painful hours of peeling shallots in a kitchen basement in NYC...
Once home, I thought it might be interesting to continue writing about my adventures staging in a restaurant in Ottawa and starting up my chefing career, so we readjusted the blog to be about this and I continued, or tried to. Many a time I thought I'd like to record this or share this with others, but then I got too busy or thought it wouldn't be that interesting... the internal censor that comes on that is not that fun and highly critical. But, after some prompting, I will try to continue again. So, to catch up, here's a recount of highlights over the past week or so...
Monday, March 12 - Went to the farmer-chef meet- and- greet, organized by Just Food and Ottawa Tourism, at the Chateau Laurier Hotel. This was the first opportunity for chefs to meet local farmers and suppliers in the area. This resulted from a working group of chefs, restaurateurs, hoteliers and farmers that has been meeting since the Ottawa Culinary Tourism Networking Summit last November. I was excited about this as this is exactly what I learned about in school about supporting local farmers as been essential for the health of our food, local economy and environment. It was only through a group of dedicated people in NY that the concept of the well-known and popular Green Markets came into being, where chefs and the public could come into contact with local farmers and buy directly from them. Before that, chefs and the public were buying more from large chains that were coming from far away with bulk foods. In a room at the Chateau Laurier, there were tables set up with the farmers and suppliers behind them, and the chefs (some where easy to recognize with the traditional white tall hats and chef uniforms and others also easily recognizable as they were in jeans and looked somewhat rough and groggy for getting up too early after late night shifts) would go around meeting them, sort of like speed dating. I spoke to the representatives of Just Food and Slow Food as I'm a member of both and would like to support them as much as possible. I'm excited by the fact that they even exist, which I wasn't aware of before I left for school or perhaps didn't realize how important they were.
Tuesday, March 13 - Went to my second consultation with OCRI Entreprenership Centre(http://www.entrepreneurship.com/) with my business advisor and marketing research expert. I had many ideas when I first came back from my travels and didn't know where to start so Dave suggested I go back to the Centre where I've had luck before. So, I went there and made an appointment for a free consultation with an advisor. The advisor was wonderful and encouraging, suggesting that I sign up for a package of consultations with experts in everything from finance, law and market research, in order to help me develop my ideas and business. My advisor and the market research person were very supportive of the gourmet vegan dinner concept, which I said was very popular and almost sold out without any or little promotion, and my advisor even bought two tickets. They are both foodies and we were all excited talking about the dinner concept, food and possible locations for future dinners, which I'll follow up on. Actually, I was so excited and went to scope out one of the locations in the Byward Market right away. I just walked in and met the owner and the head chef and had a long conversation with the head chef who was very supportive and enthusiastic about the idea. He has the same philosophy about using natural, organic and seasonal foods from local suppliers when possible. The next step is to meet the owner and we'll see what he says.... you never know.
March 15 - Went to scope out another location in the Byward Market for future dinners. This one came through a person who was on my mail out list and approached me as she loves the idea of the gourmet dinners and has a space that I could probably use. Wow, couldn't' believe that! The space is unique, interesting and fun and now our request is with the owners for review. Sorry, but will tell you the location if and when it's confirmed.
Firming up some cooking classes with Urban Element (http://www.urbanelement.ca/), a very cool upscale space in the Parkdale area for classes and events, for May-July. They will be vegan and vegetarian and will highlight some interesting themes such as Middle Eastern Feast for the Senses, A Journey to India and Japan, and a Taste of Japan. I'm hoping the Ottawa clientele will keep their minds and palates open for these courses and I'll sell out. I'll keep you informed once the dates are confirmed and sign up is open.
A reporter from Chatelaine magazine is writing an article about blogs, in particular why people decide to start blogs and keep blogs. She contacted me because someone sent her the information about ZenKitchen opening up and she noticed that I had been keeping a blog. So, I didn't think I would have much to say, but like my blog, I started with nothing but provided her with lots of information, including how my blog is like my friend, my connection to my feelings, and to others. The article is to appear in the June issue of Chatelaine if all goes well.
Today, someone I knew from the Executive MBA and met at the recent Cherry Pie gathering called me about catering for a luncheon for her board committee this week. I'm trying to plan something very nice, delicious and healthful, something I would have liked to have seen at the numerous meetings and luncheons I attended with crappy food or nice food that often made you feel bad afterwards.
So, I never thought I'd have anything to write about in good old Ottawa but it turns out that Ottawa is proving me wrong. I actually have this dare with Ottawa and I want it to prove me wrong! I'm not sure that the city is ready for gourmet vegan food, and food that is organic, natural, and as seasonal and locally sourced as possible. Is there a market for this type of food? Will people pay the price? Do people understand where there food comes from, the correlation between the food they're eating and the diseases that are affecting them and their children? Do people want to eat great food that is healthful and environmentally friendly? Are we there yet? I know the Wholefoods organic-focused supermarkets have arrived in TO, which are very popular in NYC and throughout the US, and people are crazy about buying from them. They are changing the marketplace anywhere they go and quickly or perhaps the market was ready for them and that's why they appeared. Like they say, when the student is ready the teacher will appear. So, is Ottawa ready for food that is beautiful and good for you and the environment? That is my question and why I opened up ZenKitchen. We'll see what the answer is...
Well, if you've been checking my blog regularly, I apologize for not being more regular with my entries. It was easier when I was in the rhythm of school and interning and it's been harder once back home, trying to get adjusted to the weather (often a 40 degrees difference from sunny and warm California!), life back in Ottawa and setting up the new business. So, I will try to get into the rhythm here. The days go by quickly and sometimes I think that what I'm doing is not that interesting to people. But some people have told me that they've always enjoyed what I have been up to and why not continue when home.
As you may know, originally the blog was for my NY culinary adventure to keep family and friends up to date. I was surprised as I really started to look forward to writing in it and sharing my adventures and capturing funny, sad, painful and joyful moments with others. Then I decided to head to San Francisco to intern at Millennium and continued the blog as I had so many stories to continue to tell. Actually by that time, I was probably more attached to it than my friends and it was my daily way to check in and uncover all the things that I had observed and experienced in a long day in the kitchen so it was not lost and forgotten forever, though how could I ever forget the long lonely painful hours of peeling shallots in a kitchen basement in NYC...
Once home, I thought it might be interesting to continue writing about my adventures staging in a restaurant in Ottawa and starting up my chefing career, so we readjusted the blog to be about this and I continued, or tried to. Many a time I thought I'd like to record this or share this with others, but then I got too busy or thought it wouldn't be that interesting... the internal censor that comes on that is not that fun and highly critical. But, after some prompting, I will try to continue again. So, to catch up, here's a recount of highlights over the past week or so...
Monday, March 12 - Went to the farmer-chef meet- and- greet, organized by Just Food and Ottawa Tourism, at the Chateau Laurier Hotel. This was the first opportunity for chefs to meet local farmers and suppliers in the area. This resulted from a working group of chefs, restaurateurs, hoteliers and farmers that has been meeting since the Ottawa Culinary Tourism Networking Summit last November. I was excited about this as this is exactly what I learned about in school about supporting local farmers as been essential for the health of our food, local economy and environment. It was only through a group of dedicated people in NY that the concept of the well-known and popular Green Markets came into being, where chefs and the public could come into contact with local farmers and buy directly from them. Before that, chefs and the public were buying more from large chains that were coming from far away with bulk foods. In a room at the Chateau Laurier, there were tables set up with the farmers and suppliers behind them, and the chefs (some where easy to recognize with the traditional white tall hats and chef uniforms and others also easily recognizable as they were in jeans and looked somewhat rough and groggy for getting up too early after late night shifts) would go around meeting them, sort of like speed dating. I spoke to the representatives of Just Food and Slow Food as I'm a member of both and would like to support them as much as possible. I'm excited by the fact that they even exist, which I wasn't aware of before I left for school or perhaps didn't realize how important they were.
Tuesday, March 13 - Went to my second consultation with OCRI Entreprenership Centre(http://www.entrepreneurship.com/) with my business advisor and marketing research expert. I had many ideas when I first came back from my travels and didn't know where to start so Dave suggested I go back to the Centre where I've had luck before. So, I went there and made an appointment for a free consultation with an advisor. The advisor was wonderful and encouraging, suggesting that I sign up for a package of consultations with experts in everything from finance, law and market research, in order to help me develop my ideas and business. My advisor and the market research person were very supportive of the gourmet vegan dinner concept, which I said was very popular and almost sold out without any or little promotion, and my advisor even bought two tickets. They are both foodies and we were all excited talking about the dinner concept, food and possible locations for future dinners, which I'll follow up on. Actually, I was so excited and went to scope out one of the locations in the Byward Market right away. I just walked in and met the owner and the head chef and had a long conversation with the head chef who was very supportive and enthusiastic about the idea. He has the same philosophy about using natural, organic and seasonal foods from local suppliers when possible. The next step is to meet the owner and we'll see what he says.... you never know.
March 15 - Went to scope out another location in the Byward Market for future dinners. This one came through a person who was on my mail out list and approached me as she loves the idea of the gourmet dinners and has a space that I could probably use. Wow, couldn't' believe that! The space is unique, interesting and fun and now our request is with the owners for review. Sorry, but will tell you the location if and when it's confirmed.
Firming up some cooking classes with Urban Element (http://www.urbanelement.ca/), a very cool upscale space in the Parkdale area for classes and events, for May-July. They will be vegan and vegetarian and will highlight some interesting themes such as Middle Eastern Feast for the Senses, A Journey to India and Japan, and a Taste of Japan. I'm hoping the Ottawa clientele will keep their minds and palates open for these courses and I'll sell out. I'll keep you informed once the dates are confirmed and sign up is open.
A reporter from Chatelaine magazine is writing an article about blogs, in particular why people decide to start blogs and keep blogs. She contacted me because someone sent her the information about ZenKitchen opening up and she noticed that I had been keeping a blog. So, I didn't think I would have much to say, but like my blog, I started with nothing but provided her with lots of information, including how my blog is like my friend, my connection to my feelings, and to others. The article is to appear in the June issue of Chatelaine if all goes well.
Today, someone I knew from the Executive MBA and met at the recent Cherry Pie gathering called me about catering for a luncheon for her board committee this week. I'm trying to plan something very nice, delicious and healthful, something I would have liked to have seen at the numerous meetings and luncheons I attended with crappy food or nice food that often made you feel bad afterwards.
So, I never thought I'd have anything to write about in good old Ottawa but it turns out that Ottawa is proving me wrong. I actually have this dare with Ottawa and I want it to prove me wrong! I'm not sure that the city is ready for gourmet vegan food, and food that is organic, natural, and as seasonal and locally sourced as possible. Is there a market for this type of food? Will people pay the price? Do people understand where there food comes from, the correlation between the food they're eating and the diseases that are affecting them and their children? Do people want to eat great food that is healthful and environmentally friendly? Are we there yet? I know the Wholefoods organic-focused supermarkets have arrived in TO, which are very popular in NYC and throughout the US, and people are crazy about buying from them. They are changing the marketplace anywhere they go and quickly or perhaps the market was ready for them and that's why they appeared. Like they say, when the student is ready the teacher will appear. So, is Ottawa ready for food that is beautiful and good for you and the environment? That is my question and why I opened up ZenKitchen. We'll see what the answer is...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home