Excuse me for not writing but...
Wednesday, June 6
Excuse me for not writing but my life was waiting. Isn't that the name of a book or movie? If not, it should be. Yes, excuses, excuses of why I couldn't write and I could do the blah, blah, blah thing to explain. But, instead, I'll just go back on the saddle again and tell you what I've been up to. I often think about the blog and am seconds away from writing in it and then I think of this and that and something that's more urgent, pressing, and the thought goes away, too far to remember, that is until the next time it comes along.
Here I am, at least for a few seconds, after running to a TV interview at Rogers Cable TV for "Contact Japan", which is a show geared for the Japanese community and people interested in Japanese activities in the region, in English and Japanese. They wanted me to do a brief cooking demo on their show and since I just finished a class at the Urban Element yesterday on a "Culinary Journey to India and Japan", one of the recipes - The Japanese Land and Sea Vegetable Salad- came to my mind and I tried to create it. Well, creating it, while talking about my life and what ZenKitchen does, all in five minutes max, was quite the ultimate challenge in multitasking, all while looking calm, collected, enthusiastic, and figure out who should you be looking at.. the host, which of the three cameras, or my ingredients. There was no time to think, well there were seconds that seemed like eternity, but I had to make quick decisions and hopefully it didn't show on my face while I was doing the demonstration. Imagine if people could read your bubbles? What trouble we would all be in!
After watching countless cooking shows, I tried to replicate what they did by showing products and ingredients in their full state, measuring out everything in advance so I didn't have to spend time measuring and pouring things on the show, and showing things in different states of completion. This took quite a bit of time as you can imagine, not having the normal crew that a Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray would have on their set. This, combined with having a kitchen set at the TV station that is basically just a set with no running water, limited equipment or implements, and with just moments to set up and tear down, so I felt more like I was in a biathalon or race. Before I knew it, my few minutes of fame had ended and I was hurrying to pick up my wares so they could get on with the show. This was kitchen stadium and production in 5 minutes including the intro and ending. I'm not sure if I was sweating from this running around, or the bright lights, or the stress of it all. It all seemed to meld together into one giant ball and I felt like a deer in the headlights but tried to act more like Bambi on camera and act at least warm, cuddly and friendly. And, I can't remember what I said because now it's all a blur. Well, we'll see the results of my sweat and efforts when the show airs this weekend, I believe at 9 am on Sunday. This is the last show until the fall, and the hosts liked the idea a lot of a cooking demo as it seems like one of the most requested and popular items on the show but it's been hard to find someone that can cook, teach and be confident and enthusiastic on camera, or look like it. Not sure if I accomplished this but we'll see the results. Well, the Nigela Lawsons and Jamie Olivers of the culinary world had to start somewhere didn't they? Did they start on cable TV or just hit it big time right off? I wonder.
Yesterday, Tuesday, I had my second class at Urban Element called "A Culinary Journey to India and Japan" and it went superbly. I had a class on May 22 called "Middle Eastern Feast for the Senses" that totally sold out, with a class with 17, and it was challenging to have such a large group for the first time, have the front-of-house person be new as well, and not have the opportunity to have a pow wow with the assistant, front-of-house person and myself to get our ducks (or lack of ducks) in a row so to speak. However, despite a rough start, the class went well and people left happy and satisfied I think. I was fortunate to have a great group of people join the second class, including someone from the gourmet dinners, my fabulous hair stylist with ModMop and her date, and even someone from my last class who is a regular participant in the cooking classes at the Urban Element, and this helped to bring up the energy and support in the room. It was so much better and less anxiety producing the second time around. I knew what to expect, knew the kitchen better, and really prepared in my mind and logistically how the class would run and visualized it running superbly with people learning, laughing and having fun, including me. Also, the cuisine of Japan is something that is near and dear to my heart as is the use of natural ingredients, so I was able to speak with confidence and passionately. I had a great time and felt lifted and energized during the class and at the end of the evening. It was like one of my gourmet dinners all over again. When there is so much passion, work from the heart, and intention on having a great event, there seems to be a magical force that sweeps in. But the key is that you have to know what you want, truly, and believe it from the bottom of your heart. I'm not sure in my life how many times I have felt like this. I wanted things but they were more material. I wanted things to turn a certain way but I had underlying nagging doubts and was not 100% certain, or perhaps I believed I did not deserve it in some way. This all comes into play. Time and time again, I am truly surprised what can happen if you follow your heart and are committed. I had always thought this might be true, that if you really really wanted something, that it would happen but never put the passion and the commitment into it. At the same time, I have learned the lesson of letting go as well. You try really hard but if things are not working out or if you continually get roadblocks, then the key is instead of hanging on tighter, to loosen the grasp over what you want. It's that balance between commitment and detachment that's challenging, or the realization one day or that "ah ha" moment when you realize what's happened, or not happened, and can be present and in the now to deal with it and change course. I guess that's the trick, to be present, so as not to think in the past or in the future, but just be in the now and truly enjoy it for what it is. This is the lesson I've been dealing a lot with over the past year or so in particular, especially after reading the Power of Now and loving it. Creating in the kitchen and being in the kitchen is so much about being present and mindful and that's why I love it. I believes it helps my spiritual practice.
So, where was I? Besides the great profile on me in Ottawa Magazine in the June issue written by the editor, a mention about my blog was in an article on how to start a blog in the Chatelaine Magazine that just came out. Actually, Dave told me on the way home that I was mentioned in Chatelaine, or my blog was, and that got me writing again. I have been meaning to, truly, but this gave me a good kick start again as I do love it when I'm here and have lots to share, which I hope is interesting and good for the body, mind and soul.
I haven't written about my gourmet dinner at the Helsinki Lounge on May 28 that went well and people seemed to enjoy, despite several challenges we had to face with the venue, like lack of lighting in the basement area we were going to plate in and store our stuff in and having to find a way to work around this, to having a server not show up, to Dave having to work later than expected, and getting to the venue later than I would have liked, etc. etc. The list goes on and on, however there are always angels and a force that moves into each venue where we hold these dinners that is amazing. Complete chaos and disarray when we start moving in with all our boxes of plates, glasses, cutlery, cooking equipment and supplies, into a place that is normally a lounge and disco bar, to a unique and interesting group of people sitting down in the lounge to drinks, meeting new and old friends, and awaiting with anticipation a new dining experience. It was going to be a more critical group this time around, as it was not my friends, colleagues and contacts I had invited last time, but their friends, family, co-workers, neighbours, and people that had just heard about the dinner and wanted to join in. There was a lot of pressure to keep up the great performance and food as last time while creating something unique, beautiful and delicious that would please most or all of the foodies in the room. Not an easy feat! With the force of people that were hired to help us, and friends that came to the rescue at the ninth hour to help us set up and prepare for the event, we managed to finish the front-of-house set up. With the force of the three amigos - Louis, Gregg and yours truly - we managed to make it work, despite stresses of not finding food and supplies we needed and having to work and plate in a very small work area over 40 plates at a time. I can't believe what we churned out, all three of us working so well and harmoniously in the kitchen. Gregg with his usual calm and relaxed nature. Louis with lots of expertise and skill in his back pocket, and being steady, helpful and kind throughout. Dave running like crazy up and down the stairs (did I mention that there was a good set up stairs between the kitchen and the lounge that the servers had to continuously run up and down?) to be the important liaison between the front and back of house, despite our anxieties and snarls from time to time. We churned out an amuse and four courses, along the Asian theme, to celebrate Asian Heritage Month. Not bad with one regular electric stove with an oven and a very small space, with one side the kitchen pantry and the other side the professional dishwashing machine. The full menu is on the zenkitchen.ca website under the dinners and I'm going to try and post up photos of the key dishes shortly for my records, memories and for people to see. We had four birthdays that people were celebrating at the dinner... 4! I can't believe people are using my event as a gift to their friends and a way to celebrate. I am very impressed and honoured that they think of my dinner as a unique and fun special event.
The weekend before the May 28 gourmet dinner, I prepared a lovely three course vegan meal for the Carp Wellness Centre's Volunteer Appreciation Dinner and transported it over there. In particular, the main course was the challenge as the director didn't want wheat to be used or dairy products. We were originally thinking of a lasagne with roasted vegetables and were going to try something new but thought it would be a challenge to try the lasagne with roasted vegetable slices as noodles (eggplant, zucchini) and a bechamel sauce made from cashews. It was delicious and we hear everyone, vegans and not, loved it. The salad was the delicious New Caesar with dressing that is Caesar-like but is vegan, without dairy. Then to finish the evening, the director asked for a fun and delicious dessert, and I thought that individual chocolate tortes or cakes with dark chocolate ganache, with shredded coconut and spiced nut mix topping, and caramel sauce twirled on top, would be a fitting way to say "thank you" to their volunteers. This was served with fresh fruit compote. From one of my friends that attended the event, we heard that there was nothing left in terms of the food and people were curious and raved about the food. That's the only thing about catering an event like this. With all the tremendous work to buy everything, make it and then transport it, it's hard not to see the reaction of people to the food. I really miss that aspect and it's why I love the gourmet dinners, personal chefing for small dinner parties, and cooking classes. I love the interaction with the people and seeing what they thought of the food and if they have questions. That's why I wanted as part of the dinner, the opportunity for guests to meet the chefs and ask questions. I want and need that but I also think it's important for people to start discussing what they are eating more, especially healthful food, and how it is made and where it is coming from. This is a good way for people to start making the link between eating, the food they buy, where it is produced, and how this is all affecting the environment, economy and our bodies. I hope to make this little contribution to the community.
After that volunteer appreciation evening, I headed to the Chelsea Club for a shift. I know, crazy after running to and from Carp for the dinner, but I love working there, am learning lots, and it's refreshing to really want to go to a job and be there. I worked a lot of shits, almost full-time, at the beginning of May as it was super busy and now I'm just going in from time to time, which is great with me as the past week or so has been absolutely crazy with the dinner, classes, catering gigs, and everything else in between. Oh yes, in one of those weeks, we had several things happen to us... our car was stolen (eventually recovered), our water tank broke and flooded the basement, and our roof started leaking. We went "ah!" and felt like running but managed to survive and counted our blessings that it was not worse.We were safe and healthy, and happy for the most part, and that was more important.
The next gourmet dinner is already coming up on Monday, June 18 and is almost sold out. I need to remember to leave 3 or more weeks between dinners so there is enough time to research, test, discuss and finalize the menu. For the last dinner, there was limited time to prepare as Gregg was away for his honeymoon and we started discussions before he left and continued them once he was back, but we would have liked more time. Perhaps there will never be enough time.
I am so excited because the June 18 event will be a food and organic and local wine pairing event, complete with Marc, a sommelier that came to the first dinner with his wife and loved the concept and the food. Now, he's right in there, buying, testing and helping me to pour and explain the wines on Monday, June 18. The event is almost sold out by the way and going to fun and interesting. I just wish I could sit down and be a guest for this one. The Chelsea Club is so beautiful and I know people will love it. I've already booked monthly dinners there from September-December, and on Saturdays, so I hope everything works out well and it can be a "home" to ZenKitchen dinners. I can do other gourmet dinners but it would be nice to have one steady gig per month.
So, I'm getting tired and will move from the saddle to the bed shortly, after taking off my boots and riding gear first, and my knife bag...
Talk to you later, Caroline
Excuse me for not writing but my life was waiting. Isn't that the name of a book or movie? If not, it should be. Yes, excuses, excuses of why I couldn't write and I could do the blah, blah, blah thing to explain. But, instead, I'll just go back on the saddle again and tell you what I've been up to. I often think about the blog and am seconds away from writing in it and then I think of this and that and something that's more urgent, pressing, and the thought goes away, too far to remember, that is until the next time it comes along.
Here I am, at least for a few seconds, after running to a TV interview at Rogers Cable TV for "Contact Japan", which is a show geared for the Japanese community and people interested in Japanese activities in the region, in English and Japanese. They wanted me to do a brief cooking demo on their show and since I just finished a class at the Urban Element yesterday on a "Culinary Journey to India and Japan", one of the recipes - The Japanese Land and Sea Vegetable Salad- came to my mind and I tried to create it. Well, creating it, while talking about my life and what ZenKitchen does, all in five minutes max, was quite the ultimate challenge in multitasking, all while looking calm, collected, enthusiastic, and figure out who should you be looking at.. the host, which of the three cameras, or my ingredients. There was no time to think, well there were seconds that seemed like eternity, but I had to make quick decisions and hopefully it didn't show on my face while I was doing the demonstration. Imagine if people could read your bubbles? What trouble we would all be in!
After watching countless cooking shows, I tried to replicate what they did by showing products and ingredients in their full state, measuring out everything in advance so I didn't have to spend time measuring and pouring things on the show, and showing things in different states of completion. This took quite a bit of time as you can imagine, not having the normal crew that a Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray would have on their set. This, combined with having a kitchen set at the TV station that is basically just a set with no running water, limited equipment or implements, and with just moments to set up and tear down, so I felt more like I was in a biathalon or race. Before I knew it, my few minutes of fame had ended and I was hurrying to pick up my wares so they could get on with the show. This was kitchen stadium and production in 5 minutes including the intro and ending. I'm not sure if I was sweating from this running around, or the bright lights, or the stress of it all. It all seemed to meld together into one giant ball and I felt like a deer in the headlights but tried to act more like Bambi on camera and act at least warm, cuddly and friendly. And, I can't remember what I said because now it's all a blur. Well, we'll see the results of my sweat and efforts when the show airs this weekend, I believe at 9 am on Sunday. This is the last show until the fall, and the hosts liked the idea a lot of a cooking demo as it seems like one of the most requested and popular items on the show but it's been hard to find someone that can cook, teach and be confident and enthusiastic on camera, or look like it. Not sure if I accomplished this but we'll see the results. Well, the Nigela Lawsons and Jamie Olivers of the culinary world had to start somewhere didn't they? Did they start on cable TV or just hit it big time right off? I wonder.
Yesterday, Tuesday, I had my second class at Urban Element called "A Culinary Journey to India and Japan" and it went superbly. I had a class on May 22 called "Middle Eastern Feast for the Senses" that totally sold out, with a class with 17, and it was challenging to have such a large group for the first time, have the front-of-house person be new as well, and not have the opportunity to have a pow wow with the assistant, front-of-house person and myself to get our ducks (or lack of ducks) in a row so to speak. However, despite a rough start, the class went well and people left happy and satisfied I think. I was fortunate to have a great group of people join the second class, including someone from the gourmet dinners, my fabulous hair stylist with ModMop and her date, and even someone from my last class who is a regular participant in the cooking classes at the Urban Element, and this helped to bring up the energy and support in the room. It was so much better and less anxiety producing the second time around. I knew what to expect, knew the kitchen better, and really prepared in my mind and logistically how the class would run and visualized it running superbly with people learning, laughing and having fun, including me. Also, the cuisine of Japan is something that is near and dear to my heart as is the use of natural ingredients, so I was able to speak with confidence and passionately. I had a great time and felt lifted and energized during the class and at the end of the evening. It was like one of my gourmet dinners all over again. When there is so much passion, work from the heart, and intention on having a great event, there seems to be a magical force that sweeps in. But the key is that you have to know what you want, truly, and believe it from the bottom of your heart. I'm not sure in my life how many times I have felt like this. I wanted things but they were more material. I wanted things to turn a certain way but I had underlying nagging doubts and was not 100% certain, or perhaps I believed I did not deserve it in some way. This all comes into play. Time and time again, I am truly surprised what can happen if you follow your heart and are committed. I had always thought this might be true, that if you really really wanted something, that it would happen but never put the passion and the commitment into it. At the same time, I have learned the lesson of letting go as well. You try really hard but if things are not working out or if you continually get roadblocks, then the key is instead of hanging on tighter, to loosen the grasp over what you want. It's that balance between commitment and detachment that's challenging, or the realization one day or that "ah ha" moment when you realize what's happened, or not happened, and can be present and in the now to deal with it and change course. I guess that's the trick, to be present, so as not to think in the past or in the future, but just be in the now and truly enjoy it for what it is. This is the lesson I've been dealing a lot with over the past year or so in particular, especially after reading the Power of Now and loving it. Creating in the kitchen and being in the kitchen is so much about being present and mindful and that's why I love it. I believes it helps my spiritual practice.
So, where was I? Besides the great profile on me in Ottawa Magazine in the June issue written by the editor, a mention about my blog was in an article on how to start a blog in the Chatelaine Magazine that just came out. Actually, Dave told me on the way home that I was mentioned in Chatelaine, or my blog was, and that got me writing again. I have been meaning to, truly, but this gave me a good kick start again as I do love it when I'm here and have lots to share, which I hope is interesting and good for the body, mind and soul.
I haven't written about my gourmet dinner at the Helsinki Lounge on May 28 that went well and people seemed to enjoy, despite several challenges we had to face with the venue, like lack of lighting in the basement area we were going to plate in and store our stuff in and having to find a way to work around this, to having a server not show up, to Dave having to work later than expected, and getting to the venue later than I would have liked, etc. etc. The list goes on and on, however there are always angels and a force that moves into each venue where we hold these dinners that is amazing. Complete chaos and disarray when we start moving in with all our boxes of plates, glasses, cutlery, cooking equipment and supplies, into a place that is normally a lounge and disco bar, to a unique and interesting group of people sitting down in the lounge to drinks, meeting new and old friends, and awaiting with anticipation a new dining experience. It was going to be a more critical group this time around, as it was not my friends, colleagues and contacts I had invited last time, but their friends, family, co-workers, neighbours, and people that had just heard about the dinner and wanted to join in. There was a lot of pressure to keep up the great performance and food as last time while creating something unique, beautiful and delicious that would please most or all of the foodies in the room. Not an easy feat! With the force of people that were hired to help us, and friends that came to the rescue at the ninth hour to help us set up and prepare for the event, we managed to finish the front-of-house set up. With the force of the three amigos - Louis, Gregg and yours truly - we managed to make it work, despite stresses of not finding food and supplies we needed and having to work and plate in a very small work area over 40 plates at a time. I can't believe what we churned out, all three of us working so well and harmoniously in the kitchen. Gregg with his usual calm and relaxed nature. Louis with lots of expertise and skill in his back pocket, and being steady, helpful and kind throughout. Dave running like crazy up and down the stairs (did I mention that there was a good set up stairs between the kitchen and the lounge that the servers had to continuously run up and down?) to be the important liaison between the front and back of house, despite our anxieties and snarls from time to time. We churned out an amuse and four courses, along the Asian theme, to celebrate Asian Heritage Month. Not bad with one regular electric stove with an oven and a very small space, with one side the kitchen pantry and the other side the professional dishwashing machine. The full menu is on the zenkitchen.ca website under the dinners and I'm going to try and post up photos of the key dishes shortly for my records, memories and for people to see. We had four birthdays that people were celebrating at the dinner... 4! I can't believe people are using my event as a gift to their friends and a way to celebrate. I am very impressed and honoured that they think of my dinner as a unique and fun special event.
The weekend before the May 28 gourmet dinner, I prepared a lovely three course vegan meal for the Carp Wellness Centre's Volunteer Appreciation Dinner and transported it over there. In particular, the main course was the challenge as the director didn't want wheat to be used or dairy products. We were originally thinking of a lasagne with roasted vegetables and were going to try something new but thought it would be a challenge to try the lasagne with roasted vegetable slices as noodles (eggplant, zucchini) and a bechamel sauce made from cashews. It was delicious and we hear everyone, vegans and not, loved it. The salad was the delicious New Caesar with dressing that is Caesar-like but is vegan, without dairy. Then to finish the evening, the director asked for a fun and delicious dessert, and I thought that individual chocolate tortes or cakes with dark chocolate ganache, with shredded coconut and spiced nut mix topping, and caramel sauce twirled on top, would be a fitting way to say "thank you" to their volunteers. This was served with fresh fruit compote. From one of my friends that attended the event, we heard that there was nothing left in terms of the food and people were curious and raved about the food. That's the only thing about catering an event like this. With all the tremendous work to buy everything, make it and then transport it, it's hard not to see the reaction of people to the food. I really miss that aspect and it's why I love the gourmet dinners, personal chefing for small dinner parties, and cooking classes. I love the interaction with the people and seeing what they thought of the food and if they have questions. That's why I wanted as part of the dinner, the opportunity for guests to meet the chefs and ask questions. I want and need that but I also think it's important for people to start discussing what they are eating more, especially healthful food, and how it is made and where it is coming from. This is a good way for people to start making the link between eating, the food they buy, where it is produced, and how this is all affecting the environment, economy and our bodies. I hope to make this little contribution to the community.
After that volunteer appreciation evening, I headed to the Chelsea Club for a shift. I know, crazy after running to and from Carp for the dinner, but I love working there, am learning lots, and it's refreshing to really want to go to a job and be there. I worked a lot of shits, almost full-time, at the beginning of May as it was super busy and now I'm just going in from time to time, which is great with me as the past week or so has been absolutely crazy with the dinner, classes, catering gigs, and everything else in between. Oh yes, in one of those weeks, we had several things happen to us... our car was stolen (eventually recovered), our water tank broke and flooded the basement, and our roof started leaking. We went "ah!" and felt like running but managed to survive and counted our blessings that it was not worse.We were safe and healthy, and happy for the most part, and that was more important.
The next gourmet dinner is already coming up on Monday, June 18 and is almost sold out. I need to remember to leave 3 or more weeks between dinners so there is enough time to research, test, discuss and finalize the menu. For the last dinner, there was limited time to prepare as Gregg was away for his honeymoon and we started discussions before he left and continued them once he was back, but we would have liked more time. Perhaps there will never be enough time.
I am so excited because the June 18 event will be a food and organic and local wine pairing event, complete with Marc, a sommelier that came to the first dinner with his wife and loved the concept and the food. Now, he's right in there, buying, testing and helping me to pour and explain the wines on Monday, June 18. The event is almost sold out by the way and going to fun and interesting. I just wish I could sit down and be a guest for this one. The Chelsea Club is so beautiful and I know people will love it. I've already booked monthly dinners there from September-December, and on Saturdays, so I hope everything works out well and it can be a "home" to ZenKitchen dinners. I can do other gourmet dinners but it would be nice to have one steady gig per month.
So, I'm getting tired and will move from the saddle to the bed shortly, after taking off my boots and riding gear first, and my knife bag...
Talk to you later, Caroline

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home