ZenKitchen February Newsletter
Happy New Year! Another ZenKitchen dinner, the first of the year, will be served on February 23 at the downtown Chelsea Club, just in time to combat the winter chills and the February blues! We are planning a menu of food that we hope will warm your heart and soul, and delight your taste buds. And, for the reception period, the heart-warming sounds of the Irish harp by Kaia Nightingale will fill the air as you enjoy your hors d'oeuvres. Between starting this newsletter and pushing the send button, we've sold out for this dinner, so if you've missed out please reserve early for the March dinner, which brings me to...
We also have an exciting ZenKitchen food and wine pairing event planned for the March 29 dinner with Antonio Mauriello, Sommelier and Wine Educator with DiVinoWine Studio (http://www.divinowinestudio.com/). Antonio - a charming and informative speaker - will assist with the pairings and answer questions about the wine selections and his special approach to wine appreciation. As is the tradition of all ZenKitchen dinners, the chefs will come out at the end of the meal, to answer questions about the food and in this case the food and wine pairings. This event is selling out quickly and seats are limited, so if you are interested I recommend you act quickly to reserve your spots. Please email dinners@zenkitchen.ca to reserve.
Then there is our dinner on April 26, the first anniversary of ZenKitchen! It's still very exciting, and daunting at times, to experience the incredible enthusiasm and support of ZenKitchen and its dinners. Word of mouth has been tremendous from guests that attend our dinners, and that's why Dave and I do our very best to make every ZenKitchen dinner is the best experience for dinner guests, memories that you'll take away long after the dinner is finished and will share with friends, colleagues, and family. For those of you who have followed my journey since opening ZenKitchen with the very first dinner in April, I thank you for coming along for the ride and I hope it's been as exhilarating for you as it has been for me.
I have a very busy schedule this semester so I'll be teaching only one class on Vegetarian Cuisine: New Frontiers at the Urban Element on March 12. For more information and to register, please contact the Urban Element (http://www.theurbanelement.ca/). I may have some other cooking classes "heating up", so I'll let you know.
Some of you may know that I continue to host the "Caroline in the Kitchen" (or "Caroline no kitchen" in Japanese, which may be a more appropriate title as it's a kitchen studio setting) on Contact Japan, a monthly community program on Rogers TV 22 for those interested in Japanese news and events. I have a five minute segment where I cook and explain something related to my whole food, natural food approach to cooking, with a Japanese angle. The program is bilingual (English and Japanese) and my segment is in English. I'm still very new to this (sorry, no where near a Nigella or the Iron Chef) but it's a great learning experience and I'm having fun with Melisa who is a wonderful host and supporter of ZenKitchen. Contact Japan airs on the second Sunday of every month at 9 am, with a repeat the following Saturday at 9 am. The segment this weekend, on Sunday, February 10 at 9 am, is on the powerful and healing properties of miso soup. For the Contact Japan Rogers TV 22 schedule, visit http://www.rogerstelevision.com/option.asp?lid=12&rid=4&sid=2733
I am delighted that the "How to Cook Your Life" movie with Zen chef Edward Brown that I have wanted to see for awhile is arriving at the Bytowne Cinema (http://www.bytowne.ca/) February 15-18. The movie is a cooking class with Zen priest and famous vegetarian cookbook author Edward Brown who believes that cooking is a festival of senses, and an act of love and generosity, and that you are not only what you eat but you are also how you make it. Sound familiar? Brown feels that the disciplines of Zen and cooking both require followers to reconnect with the world in a mindful way and by being present. He repeats these words, which he learned from his own master Suzuki Roshi: "When you wash the rice, wash the rice. When you cut the carrots, cut the carrots. When you stir the soup, stir the soup" Very simple words but powerful. I encourage you to try it. It may change your world and cooking. A portion of the proceeds from the film will be donated to The Ottawa Good Food Box. More info on the film below.
I hope to see you soon, keep warm, Caroline
Caroline Ishii
Chef and Owner
ZenKitchen
http://www.zenkitchen.ca/
Upcoming ZenKitchen Dinners:
February 23 - $45, including taxes - SOLD OUT
March 29 - special food and wine pairing event - $45, including taxes, and $25, including taxes, for the wine pairings with the hors d'oeuvre and the four courses
April 26 - $45, including taxes
May 31 - $45, including taxes
How to Cook Your Life Movie:
Mongrel Media proudly presents How to Cook Your Life, a Doris Dörrie film Tasteful in more ways than one, mischievous and charming documentary How to Cook Your Life serves up a heapin' helping of Zen. Eddie Cockrell, VARIETY
Filmmaker Doris Dörrie turns her attention to Edward Brown, a charismatic a Zen Priest, cookbook author, and San Francisco resident who uses vegetarian cooking and Zen Buddhism to relate to everyday life. To him eating is more than just the intake of food. Cooking is a festival of senses, and an act of love and generosity. His recipes are simple but rich in taste and aroma. To Edward, you are not only what you eat but you are also how you make it. Edward Brown was filmed at his cooking classes at the Scheibbs Buddhist center in Austria and the two Californian Buddhist centers, the Tassajara Zen Mountain Center and the Zen Center in San Francisco, where he teaches people of all generations.
We also have an exciting ZenKitchen food and wine pairing event planned for the March 29 dinner with Antonio Mauriello, Sommelier and Wine Educator with DiVinoWine Studio (http://www.divinowinestudio.com/). Antonio - a charming and informative speaker - will assist with the pairings and answer questions about the wine selections and his special approach to wine appreciation. As is the tradition of all ZenKitchen dinners, the chefs will come out at the end of the meal, to answer questions about the food and in this case the food and wine pairings. This event is selling out quickly and seats are limited, so if you are interested I recommend you act quickly to reserve your spots. Please email dinners@zenkitchen.ca to reserve.
Then there is our dinner on April 26, the first anniversary of ZenKitchen! It's still very exciting, and daunting at times, to experience the incredible enthusiasm and support of ZenKitchen and its dinners. Word of mouth has been tremendous from guests that attend our dinners, and that's why Dave and I do our very best to make every ZenKitchen dinner is the best experience for dinner guests, memories that you'll take away long after the dinner is finished and will share with friends, colleagues, and family. For those of you who have followed my journey since opening ZenKitchen with the very first dinner in April, I thank you for coming along for the ride and I hope it's been as exhilarating for you as it has been for me.
I have a very busy schedule this semester so I'll be teaching only one class on Vegetarian Cuisine: New Frontiers at the Urban Element on March 12. For more information and to register, please contact the Urban Element (http://www.theurbanelement.ca/). I may have some other cooking classes "heating up", so I'll let you know.
Some of you may know that I continue to host the "Caroline in the Kitchen" (or "Caroline no kitchen" in Japanese, which may be a more appropriate title as it's a kitchen studio setting) on Contact Japan, a monthly community program on Rogers TV 22 for those interested in Japanese news and events. I have a five minute segment where I cook and explain something related to my whole food, natural food approach to cooking, with a Japanese angle. The program is bilingual (English and Japanese) and my segment is in English. I'm still very new to this (sorry, no where near a Nigella or the Iron Chef) but it's a great learning experience and I'm having fun with Melisa who is a wonderful host and supporter of ZenKitchen. Contact Japan airs on the second Sunday of every month at 9 am, with a repeat the following Saturday at 9 am. The segment this weekend, on Sunday, February 10 at 9 am, is on the powerful and healing properties of miso soup. For the Contact Japan Rogers TV 22 schedule, visit http://www.rogerstelevision.com/option.asp?lid=12&rid=4&sid=2733
I am delighted that the "How to Cook Your Life" movie with Zen chef Edward Brown that I have wanted to see for awhile is arriving at the Bytowne Cinema (http://www.bytowne.ca/) February 15-18. The movie is a cooking class with Zen priest and famous vegetarian cookbook author Edward Brown who believes that cooking is a festival of senses, and an act of love and generosity, and that you are not only what you eat but you are also how you make it. Sound familiar? Brown feels that the disciplines of Zen and cooking both require followers to reconnect with the world in a mindful way and by being present. He repeats these words, which he learned from his own master Suzuki Roshi: "When you wash the rice, wash the rice. When you cut the carrots, cut the carrots. When you stir the soup, stir the soup" Very simple words but powerful. I encourage you to try it. It may change your world and cooking. A portion of the proceeds from the film will be donated to The Ottawa Good Food Box. More info on the film below.
I hope to see you soon, keep warm, Caroline
Caroline Ishii
Chef and Owner
ZenKitchen
http://www.zenkitchen.ca/
Upcoming ZenKitchen Dinners:
February 23 - $45, including taxes - SOLD OUT
March 29 - special food and wine pairing event - $45, including taxes, and $25, including taxes, for the wine pairings with the hors d'oeuvre and the four courses
April 26 - $45, including taxes
May 31 - $45, including taxes
How to Cook Your Life Movie:
Mongrel Media proudly presents How to Cook Your Life, a Doris Dörrie film Tasteful in more ways than one, mischievous and charming documentary How to Cook Your Life serves up a heapin' helping of Zen. Eddie Cockrell, VARIETY
Filmmaker Doris Dörrie turns her attention to Edward Brown, a charismatic a Zen Priest, cookbook author, and San Francisco resident who uses vegetarian cooking and Zen Buddhism to relate to everyday life. To him eating is more than just the intake of food. Cooking is a festival of senses, and an act of love and generosity. His recipes are simple but rich in taste and aroma. To Edward, you are not only what you eat but you are also how you make it. Edward Brown was filmed at his cooking classes at the Scheibbs Buddhist center in Austria and the two Californian Buddhist centers, the Tassajara Zen Mountain Center and the Zen Center in San Francisco, where he teaches people of all generations.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home