The Humane Society of Vegetables and Fruits
Lansdowne Farmers Market - now until the end of October http://www.ottawafarmersmarket.ca/
Thursdays from 2 pm - 7 pm
Sunday from 8 am - 3 pm
-----------------------------
What excites me about the summer? The wonderful fresh produce produced with love and lots of hard work from local farmers. I just cry, tears of great happiness, when I see the beautiful produce all around for us to look at and enjoy.
Have you visited the Lansdowne Farmers Market on Sunday between 8- 3 am or now during Thursdays until 7 pm? If not, why not?? You HAVE to go and you will want to return. This is the third year for this market, which I believe is still in a trial stage and is constantly encouraging the city to continue to support it , so the more we show support and attend, the better for the farmers and for us and the environment and so on and so on.
I can't believe how much new produce that appears from week to week and the new vendors that show up from week to week. By the way, some of my favourite suppliers like Waratah Down organic farms and Le Coprin mushrooms, where I obtain those great exotic local mushrooms for my dinners from Christophe, have recently joined and I am thrilled, as I'm sure are the people that attend the market in increasing numbers. And then there are my usual favourites like Acorn Creek Farms - say "hi" to Andy who has been instrumental in starting and gaining support for the farmers market, Halls Apple Market, Art-is-in and their wonderful artisanal bread, and much much more.
As someone said to me, it is definitely becoming a destination spot, "the" destination spot in the summer if you truly want to experience what's happening on the local scene in terms of food, farmers, and some local suppliers related to food. It's something that we can be proud of to show tourists when they come to Ottawa.
Last weekend we brought our friend Noriko who is from Japan and studying English in Toronto to the market, and now she may come here after her studies this summer as she loved Ottawa. Of course we treated to her to the best of Ottawa but what is there not to like about Ottawa in the summer?!... the weather, patios, great festivals - just attended some great concerts during Bluesfest in my "backyard", great bicycle paths, green space all around and then the produce, now don't get me on that subject again as I could write a book.
If the farmers market was in Tokyo there would be such high admission to get in and buy things and it would comparable to the rave reviews and attendance that Disney World there usually receives. They would not believe the amount, quality and low prices of the produce. They would be the most photographed fruit and vegetables in the world and vendors would have to have photo stations so that the Japanese could pose with their favourite fruit and vegetables. I'm serious, or semi-serious, about this. If you've seen the displays of fruits in Tokyo and the incredibly high prices, like $100 for a special watermelon or honey dew melon, and displayed in a storefront window or on a stand like the best jewellery, then I think you'll understand what I'm talking about.
We may think some of the local produce may be more expensive than the supermarkets but think of the difference in quality in terms of freshness, more heirloom varieties, less chemicals that are needed for transportation and preservation as it's going from the farmer to you, and then there's the taste, which where all the arguments may stop. There is no comparison!
Then the other arguments for buying local are plenty, including supporting the local economy and farmers vs. big manufacturers from the US and other countries that are selling mass quantities of produce to large supermarkets with the main qualities being price, conservation capability and transportability vs. quality and taste, with the quality of produce from some countries questionable.
We're also building a better, healthier and more sustainable community, and that is for you and for everyone. We can actually do a lot by just buying local, or trying to when we can, especially in the summer. And then there is nothing like buying local produce from a local farmer, who hands you over proudly his produce and can speak about its nurturing and care, like they have been fostering this produce until they could get it into your hands... The Humane Society of Vegetables and Fruits. It really is something and I am filled with such pride and delight when I take this produce and nurture it further into meals for my guests to savour and enjoy.
Thursdays from 2 pm - 7 pm
Sunday from 8 am - 3 pm
-----------------------------
What excites me about the summer? The wonderful fresh produce produced with love and lots of hard work from local farmers. I just cry, tears of great happiness, when I see the beautiful produce all around for us to look at and enjoy.
Have you visited the Lansdowne Farmers Market on Sunday between 8- 3 am or now during Thursdays until 7 pm? If not, why not?? You HAVE to go and you will want to return. This is the third year for this market, which I believe is still in a trial stage and is constantly encouraging the city to continue to support it , so the more we show support and attend, the better for the farmers and for us and the environment and so on and so on.
I can't believe how much new produce that appears from week to week and the new vendors that show up from week to week. By the way, some of my favourite suppliers like Waratah Down organic farms and Le Coprin mushrooms, where I obtain those great exotic local mushrooms for my dinners from Christophe, have recently joined and I am thrilled, as I'm sure are the people that attend the market in increasing numbers. And then there are my usual favourites like Acorn Creek Farms - say "hi" to Andy who has been instrumental in starting and gaining support for the farmers market, Halls Apple Market, Art-is-in and their wonderful artisanal bread, and much much more.
As someone said to me, it is definitely becoming a destination spot, "the" destination spot in the summer if you truly want to experience what's happening on the local scene in terms of food, farmers, and some local suppliers related to food. It's something that we can be proud of to show tourists when they come to Ottawa.
Last weekend we brought our friend Noriko who is from Japan and studying English in Toronto to the market, and now she may come here after her studies this summer as she loved Ottawa. Of course we treated to her to the best of Ottawa but what is there not to like about Ottawa in the summer?!... the weather, patios, great festivals - just attended some great concerts during Bluesfest in my "backyard", great bicycle paths, green space all around and then the produce, now don't get me on that subject again as I could write a book.
If the farmers market was in Tokyo there would be such high admission to get in and buy things and it would comparable to the rave reviews and attendance that Disney World there usually receives. They would not believe the amount, quality and low prices of the produce. They would be the most photographed fruit and vegetables in the world and vendors would have to have photo stations so that the Japanese could pose with their favourite fruit and vegetables. I'm serious, or semi-serious, about this. If you've seen the displays of fruits in Tokyo and the incredibly high prices, like $100 for a special watermelon or honey dew melon, and displayed in a storefront window or on a stand like the best jewellery, then I think you'll understand what I'm talking about.
We may think some of the local produce may be more expensive than the supermarkets but think of the difference in quality in terms of freshness, more heirloom varieties, less chemicals that are needed for transportation and preservation as it's going from the farmer to you, and then there's the taste, which where all the arguments may stop. There is no comparison!
Then the other arguments for buying local are plenty, including supporting the local economy and farmers vs. big manufacturers from the US and other countries that are selling mass quantities of produce to large supermarkets with the main qualities being price, conservation capability and transportability vs. quality and taste, with the quality of produce from some countries questionable.
We're also building a better, healthier and more sustainable community, and that is for you and for everyone. We can actually do a lot by just buying local, or trying to when we can, especially in the summer. And then there is nothing like buying local produce from a local farmer, who hands you over proudly his produce and can speak about its nurturing and care, like they have been fostering this produce until they could get it into your hands... The Humane Society of Vegetables and Fruits. It really is something and I am filled with such pride and delight when I take this produce and nurture it further into meals for my guests to savour and enjoy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home