Babbling about Babbo...
We loved the ambiance - upscale but casual at the same time with people in suits to jeans - though we weren't sure about the heavy rock/metal music that ranged from ACDC to the White Stripes, ideal music for prepping in the kitchen but it just didn't seem right in a gourmet dining room. However, I have mixed feelings about it as it contributed to the casual, warm atmosphere combined with elegance, and I did have one of the lines in my head all night, something like "for those about to rock!...", so it was memorable. The waiters, there were many, runners and sommeliers were attentive, warm, charming and not at all condescending or snobby, which I absolutely hate in any restaurant.
And, oh yes, the food.... wonderful! Beautiful presentation, vibrant flavours with pristine ingredients prepared often in a simple manner but also complex at the same time in the layouring of flavours, textures, colours, ingredients. It is what to me good gourmet food is all about. Beautiful and flavourful food, elegant but comforting and not pretentious. It's like it begins with the end in mind, and I mean the customer and what they would love.
For the vegetarian aspect, there were some good vegetarian choices on the appetizers, some under the primi/pasta, and none under the secondi/mains. However, they were good to about pointing out what was available and I advise if anyone, vegan or vegetarian, wants to be sure to have good vegan/vegetarian options, that they should check out the menus in advance on the web - most are available on-line of gourmet restaurants - and to call in advance to see what they can do for you.
Most good gourmet restaurants and chefs would be pleased (not all and I have to underline "good" as I feel that a good chef in my view should welcome the challenge and new guests that want to try his /her cuisine and restaurant) to create special menu items or tailor menu items for vegans/vegetarians and those with dietary and other restrictions, however give them ample warning in advance so they can plan and prepare. Nothing irks, and this is a kinder word than I've heard, the kitchen more than a request for a special meal at the last minute or when they arrive. Why?
Often, everything is mis-en-placed and prepared for the evening, the line is set up with everything they need for the very hectic and stressful dinner rush that is crazy and unrelenting at the best restaurants, and a special order just takes the head chef and/or someone on the line extra work, energy, and focus, something that is in very short supply and is reserved for the mistakes that are bound to happen in this environment. That's why the line (the line up of cooks working to make the dishes for you) is often for those who are young, or young at heart, and not for the faint of heart as you need strength, stamina and determination to go through it and enjoy the adrenaline rush of having so many orders coming at you at once, and often with very little or no politesse in ordering from the expeditor to say the least. And, in a normal restaurant, everything is normally prepped with the focus on meat and fish, in that most of the stocks, sauces and other foundations for the meals are usually meat or fish based.
However, saying all this, I also still think that most good restaurants should always offer one vegetarian main for guests, in order to be prepared always and just to offer the option. This is coming but slowly.
It seemed to me that Batali was present in the food and all the touches even though he was not there. Even the service staff seemed to me what he would be like, or perhaps that is just the TV persona, but I've always imagined him to be warm, friendly and down-to-earth. Now, it is amazing to me how he can have 11 restaurants throughout the US, with 5 or 6 in NYC alone, and have his personality and presence carry through all of them. And even in this economy in the US and NYC in particular, it is amazing that it is still difficult, sometimes impossible, to get reservations at his restaurants because they are so popular. Everywhere we went, people were saying that people were not spending as much this holiday season because of the economy, but then how does explain the continuous high demand to get into restaurants like Batali's?
Well, my thought is that people will spend money for great food and places that make them feel warm and welcome during this busy and stressful period. Perhaps we will have less tolerance for the mediocre. So, the options are a cheap and cheerful place, or take out, or make it at home, or when you want a treat, then you really want a treat - something that can take you away for the vening to place greater than you ever imagined. And, I'm not just talking about the food as I believe it's only 50% or 75% of the equation. The rest of the equation - the service, the people that greet you and serve you, and the ambiance - is what really brings it over the top in my view. That's why our evening was surpassed last night. The food was superb but the service and attention to details were impeccable.
Dave enjoyed in particular conversing with the sommelier and asking for his recommendation of the wine to choose for evening, which he seemed to give some sincere careful thought to. He didn't just go to the most expensive wine or give a standard answer, nor was he condescending or did he make you feel that you should be richer than you are and choose a more expensive wine. He was friendly and just met us where we were at, and that was comforting and the way it should always be in my view.
I now have the shield of Dave at restaurants when the tricky question of wine comes up. I love wine but am always a bit anxious about the whole experience from the time they hand you this big leather-bound binder/book that you usually have to pick up with two hands and you can't help but scan the list where prices can go up to hundreds of dollars and sometimes thousands of dollars. This always seems incredible to me - who has the money to order this wine? If anyone reading this has this kind of money and has extra cash on hand to help with our ZenKitchen restaurant then please give me a call!
Then there are numerous other questions... What do you choose? What would go best with the meal with so many different dishes and tastes in the group? And what price range? The lowest - does that look too cheap? Though if the wine is going on your tab, then you kind of want to pay attention to the price. Then the tasting of the wine, which is always a bit awkward unless you've taken a wine appreciation course or know what you're doing. So, whew, Dave has saved me when I am dining with him but I on my own sometimes and then the adrenaline increases when I have to take over.
So, I totally understand what the normal customer has to go through around the wine thing and how it adds to the stress and frustration when the sommelier or server is snobby and treats you like some kid or loser. I can guarantee that I do not want this in my restaurant and any snobbishness around the food or the wine will not be tolerated. I do have a good radar for knowing when people are phony, pretentious or snobby, and it really irks me, especially when you are the customer or guest paying good money for something. Perhaps it my roots from a very hard working, down-to-earth, give your shirt off your back to your neighbour if you had to and don't complain family that has caused me to be this way but for this trait I am thankful to my parents and ancestors.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home