Be the change you want to see in the world...
It's interesting how the smallest things can change our mind, improve our moods, and make us believe. I spoke to a high school student tonight who is buying a ZenKitchen dinner for her mother as a birthday present. How did she hear about it? Her teacher came to my last dinner and raved to the class about it. I believe she came up to me after the dinner and said she wanted to bring me into the class at some point to speak about my the philosophy and approach to my food, in particular about being more mindful, supporting local farmers, etc. Then I get a call from a student out of the blue asking about seats for a dinner because her teacher was so enthusiastic about the food, the approach, etc. Teachers, see what impact you can have on your students when you think they are not listening sometimes?
Wow, the connections and links with ZenKitchen seem to growing each day, like a seed that has solid foundation and the right atmosphere to grow quickly and easily into the atmosphere. And, when I make a new link like this one, I know that I am having some impact with my approach, my food, my dinners, etc. and I feel satisfied, rewarded. It's like Mahatma Ghandi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world". And, it's so true. I've seen this first hand in my work. By working from the heart and passion, and really wanting to make change, this action alone has awakened palates and hearts and created other actions. Wow!
Also, as Goethe said and I have hanging on my wall as it was given to us at our graduation, "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now". That has come true so many times since starting ZenKitchen last April as well. Every day, my emails and calls and connections lead me to more connections, inspirations and growth.
Last week, I gave a talk to Ottawa Hospital doctors, as part of their retreat, on healthy eating options, in particular talking about the importance of organic and local produce, and natural foods. I thought it might be difficult for them to sit through a two-hour discussion, and for me to give it, but somehow, with some preparation of course and a good intent, I saw the light, the "ah, ha" go off in their heads at some point, and they started to become interested, ask questions, be more engaged that this was more to do with them than me and this was all about their health and what they wanted to put in their bodies and their children's futures. That is the moment you are always waiting for as a facilitator or teacher, at least I am, that connection point, when you have people on your side vs. against you, and sometimes it takes more time than others, especially if people are not gathered to see you or be with you.
Oh yeah, and then there was the big monthly dinner for 66 (well it came down to 62 in the end) last Saturday at the Chelsea Club. It started with the usual 40 but sold out so quickly at the beginning of January (there was no dinner in January), that I had to increase the size of the dinner by adding another room, and even then we sold out a few weeks before the event. And, we even sold out for the March 29 dinner before the February dinner even started. Isn't that crazy?! We had tried another room in December and while it was daunting and more work, we did survive, and so I'd thought I'd try one more time.
The February 23 evening started with the beautiful Irish harp music of Kaia Nightingale, my yoga teacher and an accomplished musician as well, among many other talents. The theme of the evening was warmth and comfort, so we had lots of warm spices, hearty dishes, and of course a good dose of chocolate. I enjoy coming out at the end of the evening to talk to everyone and answer questions. I'm an extrovert, yes, but I also exchange emails back and forth with most of the people in the room and it's really nice to see their faces. Also, it's part of why I do what do. I want there to be mindfulness and connection with the food people are eating... where it's coming from, how it is prepared, and to eat it in the company of people, perhaps talking about the food that you are eating. It's all part of my mindfulness approach to buying, cooking, eating, etc. It's very hard to do and I catch myself not being present and mindful many times in my life and during the dinner preparation and service. But I am fortunate to have staff that work with me that are very positive and mindful and they help to make me remember and as the teachers always say, you're only a breath away from being less stressed... one deep breath and feel your feet on the ground and the sky above and that really helps me.
I also went to the second room, the Sun Room, to speak to the guests, most who were new to the dinners, and spoke again about the importance of supporting important organizations like Just Food (justfood.ca) who ensure a safe and just food supply system, buying local, and now is the time to look into CSA (community supported agriculture) programs. Basically, you invest in a farmer and help him to buy his seeds and materials for the season, and then he pays you back by providing his weekly harvest throughout the growing season. So, not only do you get fresh, high quality produce, you get to find out what's in season and who has grown it for you. Most people end up on the farms to tour them and help out. This is what it's all about and I'm not how and why we have come so far from this model that makes common sense and health sense.
Why is the normal produce on our table coming from over 2,400 kms away? Why is the most important trait of produce now how well it can travel intact, and not its taste or nutritional value? It's really quite shocking. The bottom line is that these large corporations that deliver produce to us just don't care about the consumer really and what is going into our bodies. It's just commodity to transport from A to B and make as much money as possible.
So, who cares about this? We have to! We need to become more informed and take back the control into our lives and what we are eating and our children our eating. That's why it's so rewarding to receive comments after the dinner and in emails of people that are very appreciative of what I do and want me to speak to their students, organizations, cook for them, etc. etc.
I am cooking from the heart and passion, and people can feel that, or at least they keep on telling me that, but I've also feel like I've struck a raw nerve of the public right now. Something that's been bothering them and they are finally getting concerned and annoyed about. That's the way I felt before I went to the school in NYC and that was over a 1 1/2 years ago, and now I think the knowledge and concern is even more widespread and people are ready to take action. Very interesting!
I cooked for an event recently at the Chelsea Club where there were over 100 people interested in sustainability, so the organizers had me involved with the menu that was as organic and locally sourced as possible and even wanted me to speak about the menu and my approach during the evening. I didn't know what to say, but somehow, when I get up there, it's like some force moves in and I have a lot to say to people about why I do what I do and why they need to pay more attention to what they are buying, how to buy local, etc. After that talk, I spoke to many people and received many emails from people after the talk asking about the buy local guide I spoke about and other things I referred to during my discussion. Incredible!
After recuperating from the February dinner, I continue to do some shifts at the Chelsea Club and went to the Farmer-Chef meet and greet that is hosted by Just Food and Ottawa Tourism. It's like speed dating where you have to go from table to table to discuss with suppliers who they are and what they can do for you, etc. It was nice to meet some suppliers that I have only dealt with by phone and email, new suppliers, and to find out from suppliers what they are growing and when I can expect them. This was the most valuable part so I can plan my menu.
The most important thing I learned from working from farmers, is that it's like a relationship and you have to be equals. What does this mean? Well, if you have a larger producer, he's going to be able to supply larger establishments like hotels and larger restaurants and won't be as interested in supplying to you and you are not as important. Well, if you're a smaller producer, you don't have enough to supply a larger establishment and need to look for smaller buyers, and that's where I come in. I can come in and buy the entire supply from "Fred and Gerrie's" greenhouse just outside of West Port for my monthly dinner. And, they will appreciate who I am and the business and will take care in picking the organic greens at the last minute, washing them and make the one-hour drive in to Ottawa to drop them off to me with pride.
That's a good relationship and I continue to look for new relationships like this as it's hard to get a regular supply of food during the off-season months in particular. For example, the last greens supplier brought me the last of her greens for the season from her greenhouse and wasn't going to start up again until March or April. And, when she saw me at the Farmer-Chef meet and greet she was delighted to see me in person. It's a great learning experience for me and while it's a challenge to buy from so many different suppliers and locations for just one event, I think it's worth it in the end from the reaction of guests, helping the local community and the food just tastes better and it healthier for you.
So, I am preparing for several events in March, such as Women's Day celebration at a yoga studio called Windhorse (windhorse-yoga.ca) in the Westboro area with hors d'oeuvres and a number of talks and sessions for clients, including a talk about food and health by yours truly. Yoga and food, two things I love. Who said you couldn't put them together?
Wow, the connections and links with ZenKitchen seem to growing each day, like a seed that has solid foundation and the right atmosphere to grow quickly and easily into the atmosphere. And, when I make a new link like this one, I know that I am having some impact with my approach, my food, my dinners, etc. and I feel satisfied, rewarded. It's like Mahatma Ghandi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world". And, it's so true. I've seen this first hand in my work. By working from the heart and passion, and really wanting to make change, this action alone has awakened palates and hearts and created other actions. Wow!
Also, as Goethe said and I have hanging on my wall as it was given to us at our graduation, "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now". That has come true so many times since starting ZenKitchen last April as well. Every day, my emails and calls and connections lead me to more connections, inspirations and growth.
Last week, I gave a talk to Ottawa Hospital doctors, as part of their retreat, on healthy eating options, in particular talking about the importance of organic and local produce, and natural foods. I thought it might be difficult for them to sit through a two-hour discussion, and for me to give it, but somehow, with some preparation of course and a good intent, I saw the light, the "ah, ha" go off in their heads at some point, and they started to become interested, ask questions, be more engaged that this was more to do with them than me and this was all about their health and what they wanted to put in their bodies and their children's futures. That is the moment you are always waiting for as a facilitator or teacher, at least I am, that connection point, when you have people on your side vs. against you, and sometimes it takes more time than others, especially if people are not gathered to see you or be with you.
Oh yeah, and then there was the big monthly dinner for 66 (well it came down to 62 in the end) last Saturday at the Chelsea Club. It started with the usual 40 but sold out so quickly at the beginning of January (there was no dinner in January), that I had to increase the size of the dinner by adding another room, and even then we sold out a few weeks before the event. And, we even sold out for the March 29 dinner before the February dinner even started. Isn't that crazy?! We had tried another room in December and while it was daunting and more work, we did survive, and so I'd thought I'd try one more time.
The February 23 evening started with the beautiful Irish harp music of Kaia Nightingale, my yoga teacher and an accomplished musician as well, among many other talents. The theme of the evening was warmth and comfort, so we had lots of warm spices, hearty dishes, and of course a good dose of chocolate. I enjoy coming out at the end of the evening to talk to everyone and answer questions. I'm an extrovert, yes, but I also exchange emails back and forth with most of the people in the room and it's really nice to see their faces. Also, it's part of why I do what do. I want there to be mindfulness and connection with the food people are eating... where it's coming from, how it is prepared, and to eat it in the company of people, perhaps talking about the food that you are eating. It's all part of my mindfulness approach to buying, cooking, eating, etc. It's very hard to do and I catch myself not being present and mindful many times in my life and during the dinner preparation and service. But I am fortunate to have staff that work with me that are very positive and mindful and they help to make me remember and as the teachers always say, you're only a breath away from being less stressed... one deep breath and feel your feet on the ground and the sky above and that really helps me.
I also went to the second room, the Sun Room, to speak to the guests, most who were new to the dinners, and spoke again about the importance of supporting important organizations like Just Food (justfood.ca) who ensure a safe and just food supply system, buying local, and now is the time to look into CSA (community supported agriculture) programs. Basically, you invest in a farmer and help him to buy his seeds and materials for the season, and then he pays you back by providing his weekly harvest throughout the growing season. So, not only do you get fresh, high quality produce, you get to find out what's in season and who has grown it for you. Most people end up on the farms to tour them and help out. This is what it's all about and I'm not how and why we have come so far from this model that makes common sense and health sense.
Why is the normal produce on our table coming from over 2,400 kms away? Why is the most important trait of produce now how well it can travel intact, and not its taste or nutritional value? It's really quite shocking. The bottom line is that these large corporations that deliver produce to us just don't care about the consumer really and what is going into our bodies. It's just commodity to transport from A to B and make as much money as possible.
So, who cares about this? We have to! We need to become more informed and take back the control into our lives and what we are eating and our children our eating. That's why it's so rewarding to receive comments after the dinner and in emails of people that are very appreciative of what I do and want me to speak to their students, organizations, cook for them, etc. etc.
I am cooking from the heart and passion, and people can feel that, or at least they keep on telling me that, but I've also feel like I've struck a raw nerve of the public right now. Something that's been bothering them and they are finally getting concerned and annoyed about. That's the way I felt before I went to the school in NYC and that was over a 1 1/2 years ago, and now I think the knowledge and concern is even more widespread and people are ready to take action. Very interesting!
I cooked for an event recently at the Chelsea Club where there were over 100 people interested in sustainability, so the organizers had me involved with the menu that was as organic and locally sourced as possible and even wanted me to speak about the menu and my approach during the evening. I didn't know what to say, but somehow, when I get up there, it's like some force moves in and I have a lot to say to people about why I do what I do and why they need to pay more attention to what they are buying, how to buy local, etc. After that talk, I spoke to many people and received many emails from people after the talk asking about the buy local guide I spoke about and other things I referred to during my discussion. Incredible!
After recuperating from the February dinner, I continue to do some shifts at the Chelsea Club and went to the Farmer-Chef meet and greet that is hosted by Just Food and Ottawa Tourism. It's like speed dating where you have to go from table to table to discuss with suppliers who they are and what they can do for you, etc. It was nice to meet some suppliers that I have only dealt with by phone and email, new suppliers, and to find out from suppliers what they are growing and when I can expect them. This was the most valuable part so I can plan my menu.
The most important thing I learned from working from farmers, is that it's like a relationship and you have to be equals. What does this mean? Well, if you have a larger producer, he's going to be able to supply larger establishments like hotels and larger restaurants and won't be as interested in supplying to you and you are not as important. Well, if you're a smaller producer, you don't have enough to supply a larger establishment and need to look for smaller buyers, and that's where I come in. I can come in and buy the entire supply from "Fred and Gerrie's" greenhouse just outside of West Port for my monthly dinner. And, they will appreciate who I am and the business and will take care in picking the organic greens at the last minute, washing them and make the one-hour drive in to Ottawa to drop them off to me with pride.
That's a good relationship and I continue to look for new relationships like this as it's hard to get a regular supply of food during the off-season months in particular. For example, the last greens supplier brought me the last of her greens for the season from her greenhouse and wasn't going to start up again until March or April. And, when she saw me at the Farmer-Chef meet and greet she was delighted to see me in person. It's a great learning experience for me and while it's a challenge to buy from so many different suppliers and locations for just one event, I think it's worth it in the end from the reaction of guests, helping the local community and the food just tastes better and it healthier for you.
So, I am preparing for several events in March, such as Women's Day celebration at a yoga studio called Windhorse (windhorse-yoga.ca) in the Westboro area with hors d'oeuvres and a number of talks and sessions for clients, including a talk about food and health by yours truly. Yoga and food, two things I love. Who said you couldn't put them together?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home