Thursday, February 05, 2009

Make up...

Back to November 12, 2008....

Call to Dave: " So, we're on for 10:30 am tomorrow and they said for us not to wear make-up"

And so begins Caroline and Dave's big adventure to be the focus of a TV pilot for the W national TV network on the start up of a restaurant. Mystery? Thriller? Murder Mystery? Comedy? Drama? All of the above?!

We met the crew at our first possible restaurant location... 2 cameramen, 1 sound man, 1 producer, 1 producer's assistant or PA, 1 make-up person. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly. We were whisked to the make-up area, well the area was in front of the window in a cold empty room, and I was eager to go, especially as my face had decided that it would break out a thousand zits that day just to get noticed. After expressing my concerns, she wiped out any doubt that she was good at this and knew what I was talking about, as she wiped away my zits. Now, they say Cameron Diaz has bad skin so if they can do something for her and make her amazing on screen, then I should have a chance. My skin is usually quite clear but I said "oh no", actually it was stronger language, when I looked in the mirror in the morning. I hoped that the make up person was good as I went to meet the crew and meakly looked at them, seeing myself as one giant ugly zit. When they said they wanted me in make-up, those were the sweetest words and I ran toward the make-up person like she was a goddess.

Then there was gearing up with the mike with the sound man who said he warmed up the device that I would have to tuck into my pants. I said it was lucky that he is not a gynecologist as he would have some pretty unhappy customers. Then, it was remembering that the mike was on all the time where ever you go, should you decide to make funny noises, verbalize something that should really stay in your head, or talk about something you really would rather not make it on national TV. Dave and I were anxious and excited about it all, and a bit like deer in the headlights about the whole thing as it happened so quickly and miraculously. One moment we had an interview with the production company and the next thing we were here to shoot a pilot/trial.

We waited outside of the first possible location for a restaurant, and we thought that we picked a bad time for starting a restaurant, as it could be much warmer. Then the games began and it was all a blur -- outside, on the stairs, inside, and again and again, so you forget where you are at. And, I kept on trying to keep warm, energized and centred through it all.

Then on to the next location, filled with food equipment supplies like a museum and a walk through with the owner, who had on make-up and a mike, and was visibly nervous, and we were supposed to act natural as we walked through the store/museum. The space was huge and we tried to get our heads around to what we could do with it. Dave said I could finally get the big Buddha I've wanted to and I thought that was a great idea, except for not having any money afterwards to pay for anything else if I did buy a gigantic Buddha. And, then the mind started going thankfully. If there is a huge Buddha, then why not a wonderful Zen Garden indoors to be a part of it, and then there's that waterfall that I've always wanted. And to go from one end of the space to the other end, why not roller blades so I and others could stay in shape while working in the restaurant. See what happens when the creative juices are flowing...

And, before you know it the filming ends, you're excited still but exhausted, you have a lot of make up on and no place to go.

Fast forward to December 23 and we are driving to Dave's mom's place in Brockville to do the Christmas thing as we were heading to NYC for Christmas...

My cell phone rings and someone says "they loved it, you're in", and then after a small hesitation I realize it's the producer from the production company and said quickly to cover up my slight hesitation, "thanks, what a nice Christmas present for both of us", and then I hung up and turned to Dave in shock saying, "The network has given the go ahead to start filming The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave". There are so many emotions that started pouring in at that point... shock, delight, happiness, anxiety, joy, and it's all mixed into one big Santa's gift bag that will start revealing itself in the new year, episode by episode.

What a way to end the year! It's like being in a roller coaster and just when you thought you were going to get out, the ride starts going again and up the hill. It's certainly going to be one big exciting, exhilarating, fun ride! It always is with ZenKitchen. Stay tuned, no really stay tuned!

1 Comments:

Blogger Anardana said...

Wow!! Exciting!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home