Thursday, April 02, 2009

Seitan arrives in Ottawa!

April 2, 2009

Oh how I've neglected blogging, along with many other things in my life. But I have a good reason....

We're securing a restaurant space and all the planning around this has been quite intensive and such a roller coaster ride of emotions. Good thing I haven't had much time to think about what we're doing as it's like leaping from one ledge to and another and when you peak down once in awhile you see a big canyon and then you get scared and don't know how you're going to get the courage to jump. But we've started the leap and it looks like it may be finally ending, or should I say starting, with a new "lease" on life, or the new lease on our restaurant space. And, the many people on the other side reaching out their hands to lend us support and encouragement has been absolutely amazing and touching. I won't say much more until we actually get the space, which should be very soon!

I continue to teach cooking classes at the LCBO and Urban Element and I'm excited and nervous about being of of 4 chefs chosen to prepare special hors d'oeuvres, showcasing local produce, for the Genie Awards media reception at the NAC on Saturday, April 4. It's the first time that they have been held in Ottawa and it's such an honour to be invited. It's going to be interesting to say the least to have a new woman chef with three other seasoned male chefs working with their different meats and foie gras, while I showcase my "BBQ seitan sandwich", a complete whole foods vegan hors d'oeuvre. I think it's so cool that I am invited, and Dave will be assisting me, and I believe it will highlight Ottawa as more creative, open, hip and interesting, especially in terms of food and options, than people might expect, who are usually coming from cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Here's the write up from the food editor of the Ottawa Citizen - he writes much better than I could have about the event and what I'm preparing...

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/omnivore/archive/2009/03/24/food-for-the-stars.aspx

Of course, there has been lots of filming in our lives these days for our show, The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave, to start airing in the fall on the W Network. And what I like to call these days my cute elephant, a production team of about 8 people and their equipment, very nice and fun to work with, follows me/us as we go about the trials and tribulations of my life, our lives. This cute elephant will be at the reception with us of course, capturing Dave and I on one of our many adventures into the wild kingdom where we try to attract visitors with our seitan offerings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home