Friday, January 12, 2007

Bean there, done that...

Friday, January 12

This morning was our final personal practical exam. The last time we would be graded in the kitchen. We had to plan and prepare an entree that was colourful, delicious, balanced, and followed of all our principles of Chinese 5 phase theory and the elements (wood, fire, water, etc) and other theories. We had three hours to present a creation that we had to name and plate. Just like Top Chef, we were given a variety of surprise ingredients and had to prepare something from it. There wasn't anything exciting like you see on Iron Chef such as giant octopus or a rare mushroom, but the same old, same old... beans, lentils, polenta, brown rice, mushrooms, peppers, tomatos, collards, carrots, scallions and the standards like onions, garlic and a few herbs like thyme and oregano. But, as one of the chefs always says to us, if you can make plain items like beans and vegetables interesting and delicious, this is the much harder task. In his experience, it's alot easier to work with meats as you don't have to do much to make them taste good and appetizing.

What would you do if you had these ingredients and had to make a entree plate?

The team was quite relaxed as we had finished our Friday Night Dinner and nothing could phase us much. So, we all went to work in the kitchen and there was some anxiety and we were more on guard as everything is marked from our uniforms to how we keep our stations clean and cleared to how we work in the kitchen and with one another. However, the mood was quite calm, focused and pleasant. Or, perhaps that's because we have a lot more confidence and skills under our belts? I remember how anxious we all were when we had to do our first poached pears with reduction sauce for grading, which seems so long ago now.

What did I make? I wanted to take chances today and challenge myself by making something that would stretch me and please the teacher. Why not, I thought. If not here, then where? And, I needed to take the lowly bean as I wanted to make it interesting and delicious.

So, my plate was called Roasted Vegetables and Bean Stew with Spicy Tomato Sauce and Roasted Garlic Oil. I made this a vertical presentation (you'll have to use your imagination unless I can put up a photo one day) in a rounded vertical mold with brown rice on the bottom, seared spinach in a lemon juice and cumin sauce, then I made a stew or more like a garbure ([gar-BOOR] a vegetable or meat soup so thick it could be considered a stew or casserole dish; immensely popular with Basques) with roasted vegetables (red and yellow peppers and carrots in a dice) and navy beans, all cooked separately and then put together with sweated onions, vegetable stock, and a bouquet garni mixture and simmered, topped with a few roasted vegetables. This vertical mold was placed on top of a spicy tomato sauce with fresh herbs that was blended so it came out a nice bright red-orange colour. I sprinkled the roasted garlic and chive oil (a bright green) on the orange sauce. And voila, a very colourful plate and quite beautiful. I was pleased except that my molded form didn't stay together as much as I would have liked and it was hard to get the plate very clean for presentation with the tomato sauce and also ensure it is served hot. I was going to do the plate again, but didn't want to take the risk of everything falling apart and getting cold (the timing of everything is important and you need to serve the plate and what's on it hot) so I let it go. Also, you try the individual elements but don't really get the chance to try it all together so you hope for the best. I knew that according to Chinese theory and culinary theory you should have a variety of colours, textures (smooth, firm, etc) and tastes (sour, sweet, salty, hot, bitter, etc) on the plate so I was trying for this as I was making things. I had a vague idea when I started and started to firm it up as I moved along with the meal.

Well, what happened? The teacher loved the plate and the taste and I got a high score. She liked the presentation with the tower in the centre, bright colours, and tastes, in particular as bean type dishes are often dull in colour. I had a few problems with the plate cleaning but it wasn't disasterous as I thought it would be.

I was impressed by all the dishes of my colleagues that turned out beautiful and delicious. The teacher said that all of our dishes were impressive and right on with taste. No one had a problem in getting the taste right and the presentation of all was great. She gave us critique and tips on a few minor things. Looking at the pictures of everyone's creations, I couldn't believe how nice they were and how much we've improved when we first started in September. I definitely have learned a lot about plating, and much more, through the course and observation at the restaurants I have worked at and eaten at.

So, bean there, done that! Went home pleased and exhausted. I can't believe that we finish next week. Only one more final written exam next Wednesday and then we're done, except for our externships. Tonight, I'm off to dine at the school and taste the presentation by Team B, the other half of our group, who are making a mediterraen meal that they are calling "a thousand flavours" and looks very nice, judging by the preparations, which I was assisting with last night. It will be nice to dine and not be in the kitchen for this Friday. Last Friday's presentation was fun but very stressful and exhausting preparing for 100 people, including the president and teachers, and family members and friends. Now, it's the weekend and we have a long weekend as Monday is a holiday here - Martin Luther King's Birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home