The Stone Soup or Ishii Soup Story
March 26, 2008
Today I participated in Connaught Public School's "Stone Soup Cafe", well not me but my soup did... a creamy butternut squash-apple cider bisque, which was vegan and made with natural foods, mostly organic ingredients and lots of love. The school children had painted bowls and you could buy these bowls, with soups included, donated by local restaurants, and of course have the chance for lots of refills. With $5 for a bowl of soup in a bowl that you can keep, with bread, and $2 for refills I thought that was quite the deal and my friend and I thought we would only try one but couldn't resist trying this and that soup, and felt like we were at a Soup Casino as we couldn't stop buying and trying soups. "Ok, only one more try... well, that was good, but I'd like to try another... and how about giving that one a try.... I'll get more tickets...."
But, heh, it was for a great cause. The event is supporting "Right to Play" (www.righttoplay), which is an international humanitarian organization that uses sport and play as a tool for development of children and youth in the most disadvantaged areas of the world.
It was nice to see the mix of teachers (is it me but don't they look a bit young these days to be teaching, or could it be that I'm getting older and when we were young the teachers seemed so ancient didn't they?), parents, children and the community out for an event. I guess this is what the Stone Soup story is all about, which I learned about today. Here's the Coles Notes version of the story...
It involves a traveler who arrives in a village, tired and hungry, and asks for something to eat. The villagers are facing difficult times and each person tells him they have nothing to share. He says, "That's fine, I'll make some stone soup," and asks for a pot of water, into which he drops some stones. As the water starts to boil, people gather around, curious, and bit by bit they start to offer items to add to the pot. Eventually, the pot is brimming with a wonderful soup, enough for everybody to share, and the community has joined together in the excitement of making the soup.
The organizers thought this was a good story and symbol for a fundraiser as they are all working together and pitching in to build community and to share what we have, with others and with children in the most disadvantaged areas of the world. Nice story, eh? And, imagine, the organizers, parents, children, local business and the community came all together to make it happen. It's really amazing sometimes what one idea, one event, one person can do, isn't it? I'm becoming more and more fascinated by this fact - the change, the difference that one person can make in our lives, in the world.
So, this is the Stone Soup story and how my soup helped to nourish people that visited the school and will help nourish disadvantaged children and youth in the world. Wow, that's a very warming thought, and warmer than any soup I've ever had. Perhaps I should start a Stone Soup at one of my monthly gourmet dinners and see what people bring to put into it. Stone Soup is actually a very appropriate name for me as Ishii means rock or stone in Japanese, so I could call it the Ishii Soup Story. Anyway, food for thought and I bet you feel like some soup now?
Today I participated in Connaught Public School's "Stone Soup Cafe", well not me but my soup did... a creamy butternut squash-apple cider bisque, which was vegan and made with natural foods, mostly organic ingredients and lots of love. The school children had painted bowls and you could buy these bowls, with soups included, donated by local restaurants, and of course have the chance for lots of refills. With $5 for a bowl of soup in a bowl that you can keep, with bread, and $2 for refills I thought that was quite the deal and my friend and I thought we would only try one but couldn't resist trying this and that soup, and felt like we were at a Soup Casino as we couldn't stop buying and trying soups. "Ok, only one more try... well, that was good, but I'd like to try another... and how about giving that one a try.... I'll get more tickets...."
But, heh, it was for a great cause. The event is supporting "Right to Play" (www.righttoplay), which is an international humanitarian organization that uses sport and play as a tool for development of children and youth in the most disadvantaged areas of the world.
It was nice to see the mix of teachers (is it me but don't they look a bit young these days to be teaching, or could it be that I'm getting older and when we were young the teachers seemed so ancient didn't they?), parents, children and the community out for an event. I guess this is what the Stone Soup story is all about, which I learned about today. Here's the Coles Notes version of the story...
It involves a traveler who arrives in a village, tired and hungry, and asks for something to eat. The villagers are facing difficult times and each person tells him they have nothing to share. He says, "That's fine, I'll make some stone soup," and asks for a pot of water, into which he drops some stones. As the water starts to boil, people gather around, curious, and bit by bit they start to offer items to add to the pot. Eventually, the pot is brimming with a wonderful soup, enough for everybody to share, and the community has joined together in the excitement of making the soup.
The organizers thought this was a good story and symbol for a fundraiser as they are all working together and pitching in to build community and to share what we have, with others and with children in the most disadvantaged areas of the world. Nice story, eh? And, imagine, the organizers, parents, children, local business and the community came all together to make it happen. It's really amazing sometimes what one idea, one event, one person can do, isn't it? I'm becoming more and more fascinated by this fact - the change, the difference that one person can make in our lives, in the world.
I never thought before that one person could do much but when you think of it, through history it is usually through the risk-taking and vision of one person that large movements and progression has happened, or even a group of small people together with a goal. When I see events like this, I am reminded of the famous quote by Margaret Mead,
"Never underestimate what a small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margarent MeadSo, this is the Stone Soup story and how my soup helped to nourish people that visited the school and will help nourish disadvantaged children and youth in the world. Wow, that's a very warming thought, and warmer than any soup I've ever had. Perhaps I should start a Stone Soup at one of my monthly gourmet dinners and see what people bring to put into it. Stone Soup is actually a very appropriate name for me as Ishii means rock or stone in Japanese, so I could call it the Ishii Soup Story. Anyway, food for thought and I bet you feel like some soup now?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home