Part 2 - Caroline no Kitchen
"Caroline no kitchen" hit the big day time cable TV spot on Tuesday, April 2. I was invited to do a brief cooking demo live on the Rogers TV 22 Daytime program at 11 am with two hosts.
So, I packed up my wares and headed into the studio. There was a definitely a change, night and day, or actually from the usual night community cable TV program to the big daytime program. I walked into the studio and was surrounded by TV crew, production crew, and producers. I knew where to go to set up my stuff but I actually had more than a few minutes to set up, and a camera person pointed out to me at one point that there was actually a camera set up to shoot from above and I would be doing my demo in two segments, meaning that one part would be before the commercial and another after the commercial.
The kitchen and studio were very familiar territory from the Contact Japan "Caroline no kitchen" segments, so I felt at home. I can imagine a chef coming in and not knowing or understanding the nature of a demo kitchen with no oven, running water and limited equipment and supplies. As I was setting up, the very enthusiastic hosts came in to introduce themselves to me and seemed genuinely interested in who I was and the nature of my business. It was the challenge to figure out quickly how to do the demo quickly and effectively, include host participation, show the great final product, explain to people what I am doing, while seeming calm and having fun all the while. I had figured it out in my head but you never really know how it's going to play out until you actually get to the studio and also I needed to find out how much involvement the hosts wanted. Did they actually want to participate and get their hands dirty or was it more observation and eating? And, you never really know until the show goes on and you have to improvise and go with the flow.
When I finished setting up, and the program started, I waited outside with the other guests watching the program on a monitor. I felt like I was on a talent contest and waiting for my turn to go on air. One by one, the producer would come out to mike the person or persons and they would get ready to go in after a commercial. We would say "good luck" and off they went. Then they would come back relieved and we would say "good job" and on and on it went, but I became the last one left and there was no one to cheer me on and I wondered if they had forgotten about me. Apparently, they had double booked two cooking demos for the same show so I came on after another guest who did a demo about organizing your life and quick lunches and snacks.
I had a few minutes before a commercial started and in I went. I had only a few minutes to get my kitchen ready with everything and the hosts and I lined up in a row very close together behind the small kitchen counter and I explained what every person would be doing... I would show how to make the truffle mixture, I would have one of hosts scoop out the chocolate from the container, the other host would roll the mixture in chocolate and then decorate it. However, you never really know how it is all going to play out until you get on the set and see what the hosts want to do, what they focus on, and how things move along.
When the camera came on, I was ready and actually I felt quite good and at ease with everything, which I had hoped for. Just to be relaxed, be myself and have fun. When you transmit this light and fun energy, I think people are naturally attracted to it, though it helps when you are holding in your hands chocolate to really attract people! Before I knew it, we were done, and the crew were like crows moving in on the chocolate truffles in one swift motion to eat them. The producer and hosts thanked me, said I was a natural and they enjoyed having me on and that I would definitely be invited back again. It all felt great before, during and afterwards, so I know that it had gone well and I had put in my best. So, off I went, chocolate-less and happy...
So, I packed up my wares and headed into the studio. There was a definitely a change, night and day, or actually from the usual night community cable TV program to the big daytime program. I walked into the studio and was surrounded by TV crew, production crew, and producers. I knew where to go to set up my stuff but I actually had more than a few minutes to set up, and a camera person pointed out to me at one point that there was actually a camera set up to shoot from above and I would be doing my demo in two segments, meaning that one part would be before the commercial and another after the commercial.
The kitchen and studio were very familiar territory from the Contact Japan "Caroline no kitchen" segments, so I felt at home. I can imagine a chef coming in and not knowing or understanding the nature of a demo kitchen with no oven, running water and limited equipment and supplies. As I was setting up, the very enthusiastic hosts came in to introduce themselves to me and seemed genuinely interested in who I was and the nature of my business. It was the challenge to figure out quickly how to do the demo quickly and effectively, include host participation, show the great final product, explain to people what I am doing, while seeming calm and having fun all the while. I had figured it out in my head but you never really know how it's going to play out until you actually get to the studio and also I needed to find out how much involvement the hosts wanted. Did they actually want to participate and get their hands dirty or was it more observation and eating? And, you never really know until the show goes on and you have to improvise and go with the flow.
When I finished setting up, and the program started, I waited outside with the other guests watching the program on a monitor. I felt like I was on a talent contest and waiting for my turn to go on air. One by one, the producer would come out to mike the person or persons and they would get ready to go in after a commercial. We would say "good luck" and off they went. Then they would come back relieved and we would say "good job" and on and on it went, but I became the last one left and there was no one to cheer me on and I wondered if they had forgotten about me. Apparently, they had double booked two cooking demos for the same show so I came on after another guest who did a demo about organizing your life and quick lunches and snacks.
I had a few minutes before a commercial started and in I went. I had only a few minutes to get my kitchen ready with everything and the hosts and I lined up in a row very close together behind the small kitchen counter and I explained what every person would be doing... I would show how to make the truffle mixture, I would have one of hosts scoop out the chocolate from the container, the other host would roll the mixture in chocolate and then decorate it. However, you never really know how it is all going to play out until you get on the set and see what the hosts want to do, what they focus on, and how things move along.
When the camera came on, I was ready and actually I felt quite good and at ease with everything, which I had hoped for. Just to be relaxed, be myself and have fun. When you transmit this light and fun energy, I think people are naturally attracted to it, though it helps when you are holding in your hands chocolate to really attract people! Before I knew it, we were done, and the crew were like crows moving in on the chocolate truffles in one swift motion to eat them. The producer and hosts thanked me, said I was a natural and they enjoyed having me on and that I would definitely be invited back again. It all felt great before, during and afterwards, so I know that it had gone well and I had put in my best. So, off I went, chocolate-less and happy...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home