May 2 - In Tokyo!
Well, it's Friday morning and it's strange to write this knowing that for people back home in Ottawa, you are 13 hours behind, and have not reached this date and time as yet. You are travelling to the future if you are reading this. This is one of the fascinating things about international travel. I've always wondered if you made a big mistake and wanted to correct things, could you travel somewhere back in time and correct that mistake? Just wondering, which means my brain is starting to function again and that's a good thing.
This morning, I felt like I woke up from a dream or comma and lost a few days. One moment I'm on the plane from Vancouver to Tokyo, a 9-10 hour journey, on Wednesday, and then skip to Friday morning in the lovely Shibuya district of Tokyo. What happened, where did the time go? I landed in Tokyo on Thursday afternoon and went to a hip restaurant called Fujimamas (www.fujimamascom), which serves global-asian cuisine and has an asian tapas style menu. After a Tokyo Ale, a Tokyo brand with a lovely graphic design on the front of the bottle, and some tapas with Yuki and some friends from around the world we went to a very small stylish bar where you have to take an elevator to get to called UC or Ucess the lounge (http//www.ucess.jp), a bar with a DJ, good view of one of the main downtown strips called Jingumae, apparently a hangout for a lot of the expats or foreigners in Tokyo... Sweden, Singapore, Germany, US, India, etc.... and a range of professions... journalist, equities trader, management consultant, banker, translators, writer, marketing consultant, etc. I felt like I was in the Lost in Translation movie and in one of the scenes with the bars with foreigners combined with hip Japanese men and women in a ultracool setting. Apparently the bars stay open until 2 am and the clubs until 4 or 5 am at least. Actually while we were there, there was a DJ promoting his club and music by handing out flyers to guests and giving deals of only a $25 entry charge. This is another city that doesn't sleep as well! No wonder Yuki was so at home in NYC.
Then I took my very weary body home to Yuki's lovely apartment in the beautiful Shibuya district, right near downtown, and beside the beautiful Yoyogi Park. Yuki said she loved the vibe of the area and location, downtown but not right in the heart so not as congested, for her new Veggie Paradise restaurant (http://www.veggieparadise.jp/) and home, and Yoyogi is a real Japanese word... don't you love it, it means ancestors or something similar to that.
Oyasumenasai/good night
This morning, I felt like I woke up from a dream or comma and lost a few days. One moment I'm on the plane from Vancouver to Tokyo, a 9-10 hour journey, on Wednesday, and then skip to Friday morning in the lovely Shibuya district of Tokyo. What happened, where did the time go? I landed in Tokyo on Thursday afternoon and went to a hip restaurant called Fujimamas (www.fujimamascom), which serves global-asian cuisine and has an asian tapas style menu. After a Tokyo Ale, a Tokyo brand with a lovely graphic design on the front of the bottle, and some tapas with Yuki and some friends from around the world we went to a very small stylish bar where you have to take an elevator to get to called UC or Ucess the lounge (http//www.ucess.jp), a bar with a DJ, good view of one of the main downtown strips called Jingumae, apparently a hangout for a lot of the expats or foreigners in Tokyo... Sweden, Singapore, Germany, US, India, etc.... and a range of professions... journalist, equities trader, management consultant, banker, translators, writer, marketing consultant, etc. I felt like I was in the Lost in Translation movie and in one of the scenes with the bars with foreigners combined with hip Japanese men and women in a ultracool setting. Apparently the bars stay open until 2 am and the clubs until 4 or 5 am at least. Actually while we were there, there was a DJ promoting his club and music by handing out flyers to guests and giving deals of only a $25 entry charge. This is another city that doesn't sleep as well! No wonder Yuki was so at home in NYC.
Then I took my very weary body home to Yuki's lovely apartment in the beautiful Shibuya district, right near downtown, and beside the beautiful Yoyogi Park. Yuki said she loved the vibe of the area and location, downtown but not right in the heart so not as congested, for her new Veggie Paradise restaurant (http://www.veggieparadise.jp/) and home, and Yoyogi is a real Japanese word... don't you love it, it means ancestors or something similar to that.
Oyasumenasai/good night

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home