"Crowds line-up to sample popular ZenKitchen vegan hors d'oeuvres"
Thursday, April 10
.... that's the title I would like in the local Ottawa Citizen paper about ZenKitchen's participation in the LCBO Eco Chic Fair this weekend. Wouldn't that be fun and a change from people lining up for the usual meat-oriented events?!
Well, 2,200 hors d'oeuvres have been prepared with passion, love, lots of hard work, and with the support of some friends (good ones - I love you!) that came into the kitchen to help me out. It was actually a great gathering or community work-bee, as we all huddled around tables to cook with music playing, people chattering about this and that, and the updates about the count for the hors d'oeuvres from Dave along the way and either groans of "only that much?" and "we're never going to be able to make that many hors d'oeuvres" to "we're getting there" and "we might just do it". It was like the Chariots of Fire of hors d'oeuvre making. When we started heading into the home stretch, we were confident, worked faster and before you know it we had passed the finished line and made the count! This was actually a two day process as it took one entire day to make the filling and the next to wrap the fillings into wholewheat phyllo pastry triangles. So at the end of the day, we are serving:
Baked root vegetables and sauteed mushrooms in a creamy porcini-ancho sauce wrapped in a wholewheat phyllo triangle. All natural and vegan.
A lot of words but when you consider how much thought, time and work of love has gone into each triangle then you just might want to write more than a few words about it, perhaps even a story, a love story... ode to a triangle, a love triangle.
So, there you go, we're at the big LCBO at Rideau and King Edward on the weekend to serve up these vegan hors d'oeuvres and I just like the idea of people lined waiting to taste vegan food. Isn't that great? B Goods will be serving up their delicious organic cookies as well. There will also be several wineries every day. So, you get to try some things and a $2 donation to the National Heritage Foundation is suggested and optional. How's that for a deal?
Here are our hours over the weekend: Friday, April 11 from 4-8 pm, Saturday, April 12 from 12-14 pm, and Sunday, April 13 from 12-4 pm. I won't be there on Saturday as I'll be teaching a cooking class at the Japanese Centre but Dave and Pamela will be there on behalf of ZenKitchen to serve and greet people in the usual warm ZenKitchen style. Hope to see you there over the weekend!
I did two segments of Caroline no kitchen on Wednesday for Contact Japan on Rogers TV 22, and the first one is on a seaweed or kaiso salad and is on this weekend. The next one is on shitake-enoki mushroom brown rice and will air while I'm in Japan in May. I plan to come back for the June show with photos and stories to tell about interesting food trends and findings in Tokyo. I also hope to keep up my blog while I'm in Tokyo so I can capture the atmosphere and spirit of my culinary journey to Japan for people and record the memories and thoughts that are so easy to forget and just becomes one big blur when you come back from your travels, next to the big pile of receipts.
.... that's the title I would like in the local Ottawa Citizen paper about ZenKitchen's participation in the LCBO Eco Chic Fair this weekend. Wouldn't that be fun and a change from people lining up for the usual meat-oriented events?!
Well, 2,200 hors d'oeuvres have been prepared with passion, love, lots of hard work, and with the support of some friends (good ones - I love you!) that came into the kitchen to help me out. It was actually a great gathering or community work-bee, as we all huddled around tables to cook with music playing, people chattering about this and that, and the updates about the count for the hors d'oeuvres from Dave along the way and either groans of "only that much?" and "we're never going to be able to make that many hors d'oeuvres" to "we're getting there" and "we might just do it". It was like the Chariots of Fire of hors d'oeuvre making. When we started heading into the home stretch, we were confident, worked faster and before you know it we had passed the finished line and made the count! This was actually a two day process as it took one entire day to make the filling and the next to wrap the fillings into wholewheat phyllo pastry triangles. So at the end of the day, we are serving:
Baked root vegetables and sauteed mushrooms in a creamy porcini-ancho sauce wrapped in a wholewheat phyllo triangle. All natural and vegan.
A lot of words but when you consider how much thought, time and work of love has gone into each triangle then you just might want to write more than a few words about it, perhaps even a story, a love story... ode to a triangle, a love triangle.
So, there you go, we're at the big LCBO at Rideau and King Edward on the weekend to serve up these vegan hors d'oeuvres and I just like the idea of people lined waiting to taste vegan food. Isn't that great? B Goods will be serving up their delicious organic cookies as well. There will also be several wineries every day. So, you get to try some things and a $2 donation to the National Heritage Foundation is suggested and optional. How's that for a deal?
Here are our hours over the weekend: Friday, April 11 from 4-8 pm, Saturday, April 12 from 12-14 pm, and Sunday, April 13 from 12-4 pm. I won't be there on Saturday as I'll be teaching a cooking class at the Japanese Centre but Dave and Pamela will be there on behalf of ZenKitchen to serve and greet people in the usual warm ZenKitchen style. Hope to see you there over the weekend!
I did two segments of Caroline no kitchen on Wednesday for Contact Japan on Rogers TV 22, and the first one is on a seaweed or kaiso salad and is on this weekend. The next one is on shitake-enoki mushroom brown rice and will air while I'm in Japan in May. I plan to come back for the June show with photos and stories to tell about interesting food trends and findings in Tokyo. I also hope to keep up my blog while I'm in Tokyo so I can capture the atmosphere and spirit of my culinary journey to Japan for people and record the memories and thoughts that are so easy to forget and just becomes one big blur when you come back from your travels, next to the big pile of receipts.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home