November newsletter and my life so far
Here is the latest newsletter... http://zenkitchen.ca/Portals/120/CustomPages/November%2027%20Newsletter.pdf
Wow, the end of November! Where does the time go, where does it disappear to? I'm sure it must speed up around this time and slows down around March when we can't wait for the signs of spring to appear. Well, Dave and I continue to be caught up in the whirlwind of operating the restaurant and I am still in the shock stage and can't believe I actually own a restaurant and people are coming, and en masse, to see what all the buzz is all about and many people I see every night are returning customers.
It's really nice for me to go out and visit with the diners for many reasons. I want to check that everything is going ok with their food, I really enjoy meeting them and finding out how they came to dine at ZenKitchen, and I am delighted by their curiousity and questions. It's all part of my philosophy and belief to break down the barriers between the kitchen and dining room and shorten the distance between farm and fork, and I am so rewarded when I see it working firsthand.
Last night I spoke to a man who has been in before and really said that he loves it at the restaurant. He said that he has been going through chemotherapy treatments and not feeling that well but when he comes into the restaurant he feels that there is such a positive happy vibe and he instantly feels better and recharged. And with the nourishing food, he feels even better. That makes him happy and I am touched and happy that he is happy. I always imagined having a place one day that was beautiful and very warm and comforting as well, with food that touches many of our senses, and nourishes the body, mind and spirit. Tall order but I've always believed in that saying that we must reach far, for the moon, and we might just reach the stars. When I speak to people like him, and there are many that say that they love the ambiance and vibe of the restaurant, I feel like maybe it was not such a tall order and we are on our way to creating what I imagined.
When we first saw the former restaurant that was an old French style restaurant, I wasn't sure about the space. It was very dark with paisley wall paper, worn carpets. It was badly in need of a total redesign. It felt like you were in one of those restaurant makeover shows and we were seeing the before picture, but there was no instant solution to the after picture. I had always imagined a colourful, warm and open space that was upscale but inviting and couldn't picture it.
But there was something about the place that stuck in my mind even when we went to several other places, something that was calling out to us. It's a very old brick house and perhaps it reminded us of the charming Chelsea Club which we so dearly loved and had our monthly dinners there before it had to close for good as a private club. It certainly had character even though it was very old and worn through the ages.
And when I walked into the kitchen of Le Panache it was amazing and this is a winning point - it was very big and open and I never imagined I would have so much space. The space and kitchen was definitely designed by a chef with his/her input as usually kitchens are very small, cramped and without natural light. This kitchen had a window and door to the outside backyard with a tree and area for relaxing, though there would be little time for that in the end.
Though what really pulled us in to the place was that it seemed to be like a character or dog that had been neglected and not cared for properly for a long time, and it was calling out for attention and help. With every clean up and repair we did to the place, I felt like the old house was breathing a sigh of relief and thanking us in its own way. Yes, we've had our share of problems with a leased property, an old building that hasn't been taken care of, and a landlord that has been thrifty and difficult to work with. But, repair after repair, renovation after renovation, cleanup after cleanup, the building has its confidence restored and started to shine. And person after person that has come in to the space with their positive and happy energy has added to the vibe and spirit of the place. And this is only after 5 months. Imagine the place in a year, it may be one of the houses that you see taking off or not touching the ground because of all the positive energy and happiness. That makes me happy.
Wow, the end of November! Where does the time go, where does it disappear to? I'm sure it must speed up around this time and slows down around March when we can't wait for the signs of spring to appear. Well, Dave and I continue to be caught up in the whirlwind of operating the restaurant and I am still in the shock stage and can't believe I actually own a restaurant and people are coming, and en masse, to see what all the buzz is all about and many people I see every night are returning customers.
It's really nice for me to go out and visit with the diners for many reasons. I want to check that everything is going ok with their food, I really enjoy meeting them and finding out how they came to dine at ZenKitchen, and I am delighted by their curiousity and questions. It's all part of my philosophy and belief to break down the barriers between the kitchen and dining room and shorten the distance between farm and fork, and I am so rewarded when I see it working firsthand.
Last night I spoke to a man who has been in before and really said that he loves it at the restaurant. He said that he has been going through chemotherapy treatments and not feeling that well but when he comes into the restaurant he feels that there is such a positive happy vibe and he instantly feels better and recharged. And with the nourishing food, he feels even better. That makes him happy and I am touched and happy that he is happy. I always imagined having a place one day that was beautiful and very warm and comforting as well, with food that touches many of our senses, and nourishes the body, mind and spirit. Tall order but I've always believed in that saying that we must reach far, for the moon, and we might just reach the stars. When I speak to people like him, and there are many that say that they love the ambiance and vibe of the restaurant, I feel like maybe it was not such a tall order and we are on our way to creating what I imagined.
When we first saw the former restaurant that was an old French style restaurant, I wasn't sure about the space. It was very dark with paisley wall paper, worn carpets. It was badly in need of a total redesign. It felt like you were in one of those restaurant makeover shows and we were seeing the before picture, but there was no instant solution to the after picture. I had always imagined a colourful, warm and open space that was upscale but inviting and couldn't picture it.
But there was something about the place that stuck in my mind even when we went to several other places, something that was calling out to us. It's a very old brick house and perhaps it reminded us of the charming Chelsea Club which we so dearly loved and had our monthly dinners there before it had to close for good as a private club. It certainly had character even though it was very old and worn through the ages.
And when I walked into the kitchen of Le Panache it was amazing and this is a winning point - it was very big and open and I never imagined I would have so much space. The space and kitchen was definitely designed by a chef with his/her input as usually kitchens are very small, cramped and without natural light. This kitchen had a window and door to the outside backyard with a tree and area for relaxing, though there would be little time for that in the end.
Though what really pulled us in to the place was that it seemed to be like a character or dog that had been neglected and not cared for properly for a long time, and it was calling out for attention and help. With every clean up and repair we did to the place, I felt like the old house was breathing a sigh of relief and thanking us in its own way. Yes, we've had our share of problems with a leased property, an old building that hasn't been taken care of, and a landlord that has been thrifty and difficult to work with. But, repair after repair, renovation after renovation, cleanup after cleanup, the building has its confidence restored and started to shine. And person after person that has come in to the space with their positive and happy energy has added to the vibe and spirit of the place. And this is only after 5 months. Imagine the place in a year, it may be one of the houses that you see taking off or not touching the ground because of all the positive energy and happiness. That makes me happy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home